Blog 57 (28/11/07)

Welcome to blog 57. Here is some stuff for you to look at.

<h3>Testing</h3>

We have been playing about in the AR test and one day we decided it would be cool to make forts out of sandbags. The results were funny. We barricaded ourselves in next to the allied barracks with a tank and some infantry.

ScreenShot10.pngScreenShot11.png

ScreenShot04-3.png

Cool glitch huh?

<h3>Flak Trooper</h3>

I whipped up some concept art for the Flak Trooper today. The way I see it is that to target enemy aircraft, the flak trooper is going to need something to magnify his sight, so he has a pair of military grade binoculars strapped to his helm. Because of the flak his gun fire's he must be protected with a respiratory mask so he can breath through the clouds of dust his flak cannon whips up. Also, since his gun is so loud, his helm must incorperate ear defenders so that his hearing stays intact. Who said that the soviets don't look after their troops eh?

flaktroopar.jpg

<h3>Bunker</h3>

Here is a bunker for you all to hide in courtesy of dtrngd and drunkill! These will be found around the various levels so that you can fire from them. There may well be a snow version coming soon as well.

bunker1-1.pngbunker2-1.png

bunker3-1.png

Looks like concrete.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'll be glad when this coursework is handed in. I also recently completed 'Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes' again which was nostalgic :D

cfehunter went to the Black Crusade to see Dragonforce, Machinehead, Trivium, Shadows Fall and others. It was awesome apparently.

dtrngd went ranger racing in the official APB server.

Not much else happening really as exams are drawing near, as well as christmas.

<h3>OWA's Community Support Shed</h3>

potting%20shed.jpg

Nothing for me to talk about this week, so you all get March of the RA2 Penguins.

Red_Alert2_Penguins.gif

<h3>Grand Finale</h3>

Ok, time to close this up for the night, seeya next week :)

Teh Edn

love the flak trooper and the march of the penguins lol... but is it just me or do the sand bags kinda look like an 18 wheeler tire? ethier way love the blog as awayz and keep up the great work

Edited by WallyWooD

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

Why didn't you invite me to the sandbag barrier game? :D

and lol RA2 penguin march.

And love the thinking behind the Flak Trooper

and the rest is good too ofcause

Lol making that fort was so much fun (i was the one in the sandbag in the first ss :p) cool pic of the flak trooper!!! bunker looks pwnage and omfg hunter you lucky ***** shadows fall are the best.

Another great blog guys, n1.

:) you know i just thought of something and it may have been thought of before and fixed already but i figured i throw it out there anyway...okay the question is what is going to be down about the money balanceing, for example the chrono miner will be able to make a drop way before the war-miner will...so whats going to be done about this? (P.S seeing the chrono in the back ground of the sandbag wall reminded me about it :D )

Guest Gibbletsb

Thank God the AR team still does blogs. If it wasn't for you guys the front page would be almost useless lately.

BTW Well thought out with the flak trooper helmet :D

And the March of the RA2 Penguins is either pure genius, or a bit of Yuri tinged madness.

In response to the last post, in RA2 the chronominer only carried about $700 where as the Soviets carried $1000 correct me if I'm wrong here.

Allies got 500 for ech ore dump and soviets got 1000. This will be carried over to AR. The soviets have the advantage of being able to have the firepower to destroy the chronominer early game if they are quick.

Wait, so I run a test on that test release and get 2 people in, and then you run the same test and get lots of people? What gives?!?

Anyway, as I have said several bazillion times before, those sandbags are something I knocked together in renx in about 3 minutes, they are NOT final :D

EDIT: But I think we might have to keep the barricade feature... looks fucking awesome.. maybe purchase sandbag wall sections like a beacon and you can build walls using them for $100 per wall section or something? (And, make them actually destroyable :p )

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

Allies got 500 for ech ore dump and soviets got 1000. This will be carried over to AR. The soviets have the advantage of being able to have the firepower to destroy the chronominer early game if they are quick.

and then again the warminer fight back a feature that the chrono miner doesn't have, so the soviet can actually begin shooting on the chrono miner from start with they conscript where if allied try to do the same on the war miner it will be suicide

Guest EVA-251

and then again the warminer fight back a feature that the chrono miner doesn't have, so the soviet can actually begin shooting on the chrono miner from start with they conscript where if allied try to do the same on the war miner it will be suicide

Actually, I would hope that the AR team implements the Chrono Miner's AI safety measures.

In RA2, AI chrono miners would teleport back to base if they went into the red zone, dumping what funds they had, and then returning to the field.

Conscript on Chrono Miner was not an effective method of attack, unless you had a horde. The Conscript, remember, was the inferior infantry.

However, GI on War Miner was effective, especially with elite GIs, which in RA2 outranged War Miners by 1.5 (7 to 5.5, I believe) and in YR, by .5 (6 to 5.5). 5 to 6 GIs could do a number on a War Miner, and provided the War Miner does not have 1337 aiming all at the head, it should not be a trouble to destroy or force the AI War Miner to back off with that number.

As for the blog itself, great job.

-I don't like the bunker, I think you should be using the bunkers featured in RA2.

-The barricades were funny, especially with the Apoc Tank pointing down over them.

:D 'I see you.'

:) ' :) '

(you need an RA2 allies smily.)

And good concept with the Flak Trooper, makes the unit seem somewhat believable.

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

Actually, I would hope that the AR team implements the Chrono Miner's AI safety measures.

In RA2, AI chrono miners would teleport back to base if they went into the red zone, dumping what funds they had, and then returning to the field.

Conscript on Chrono Miner was not an effective method of attack, unless you had a horde. The Conscript, remember, was the inferior infantry.

However, GI on War Miner was effective, especially with elite GIs, which in RA2 outranged War Miners by 1.5 (7 to 5.5, I believe) and in YR, by .5 (6 to 5.5). 5 to 6 GIs could do a number on a War Miner, and provided the War Miner does not have 1337 aiming all at the head, it should not be a trouble to destroy or force the AI War Miner to back off with that number.

-I don't like the bunker, I think you should be using the bunkers featured in RA2.

-The barricades were funny, especially with the Apoc Tank pointing down over them.

:D 'I see you.'

:) ' :) '

(you need an RA2 allies smily.)

And good concept with the Flak Trooper, makes the unit seem somewhat believable.

Well I was talking about early game rush and how often do you have an elite conscript in the early game? that is right never

The War Miner currently has a pretty good aim. It is also not likely to be alone in the early game because of the soviets coming out to defend. This may turn the balance in favour of the soviets because, when moving, the allied GI's have an inferior weapon and deplying leaves them as stationary targets for the war miner to chew up.

Who says we can't use multiple bunkers as well as the RA2 ones :p

lol just thought of a bug exploit for AR. get a guardian GI, go to the Soviet war factory where the vechs are built, and deploy. uncrushable!

but will you be able to deploy inside buildings?

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

I think Wolf is right after all a Tank is not normally crushable but parking even a mammy in the War Factory build space in APB kills the mammy

Guest Kakashi

Not if you place the sandbags right at the entrance, this would 'plug' it and any new tanks produced would just blow up the last one... could wreck some havoc on inexperienced players. But I don't think it will become much of a problem, if necessary you could just give the War Factory entrance a 'no deploy zone'...

On another note, will it be possible to climb up the sandbags? Like use them to create 'stairs' to get up onto higher places you normally can't access?

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

Not if you place the sandbags right at the entrance, this would 'plug' it and any new tanks produced would just blow up the last one... could wreck some havoc on inexperienced players. But I don't think it will become much of a problem, if necessary you could just give the War Factory entrance a 'no deploy zone'...

On another note, will it be possible to climb up the sandbags? Like use them to create 'stairs' to get up onto higher places you normally can't access?

well you would need a lot of inf to totally block the inf, and don't forget when the GGI is deployed he has some kind of rocket launcher that is not really effective against inf, so even a single conscript could just headshot all of them and increase his K/D a lot that way easily

Guest Westy543

Nice blog.

What's up with binocs on the flak trooper? How would those help over some kind of targetting system? At the very least, it would assist aiming.