Blog 67 (06/02/08)

Lots of images flying out of nowhere this week. It was pretty fun recieving all this stuff because it's always good to have tons of stuff for you to see eh? Look below for the goodies and stop reading this drivel eh?

<h3>Crazy Ivan</h3>

Crazy Ivan is the codename given to a Soviet explosives expert. They are able to strap bombs to nearly anything. They can be seen strapping bombs to enemies, their own team-mates (presumably so the soldier could act like a suicide unit), and they can even be seen putting bombs on cows!

Having just enough radar jamming equipment to prevent themselves from being seen on radar Crazy Ivans can sneak into Allied bases and plant bombs on buildings.

In a more sinister usage of weaponry, Crazy Ivan can wire up his own units and charge them toward the enemy as a sacrifice. This is often done with Attack Dogs because of their speed.

The best defense against Crazy Ivans are to ensure all entrances to a base are guarded to prevent them from sneaking in. Pillboxes are a cheap solution for this. Engineers can defuse the Crazy Ivan's bombs.

Here he is in all his 3d glory. I decided a while back that it was time to step up my game on the 3d side of things so I taught myself how to create characters with help here and there from a few people. So yeah, here he is, Crazy Ivan, my first infantry model.

Ivan4-1.png

<h3>Petrol Station</h3>

Ric has opened up the sides on the petrol station ready for the windows to go in. He has also added some more to the texture too. Things are really pulling together here. I tought up a new garrisson buildings logic which could potentially work really well with smaller buildings as well as larger ones. I'll go more into detail about that as it is tested though. However, here is the petrol station.

pstation10.jpgpstation11.jpg

Rest assured, you will be seeing garissonable portaloos!

<h3>Tesla Reactor</h3>

As some of you may know, I've been working over at C&C Reborn, helping them to get their infantry beta out. After many hours of frustration at the string table I finally conquered it. As I helped them with that, Dark has greatfully offered to take some of his time to model us up a new soviet tesla reactor! Take a look at the images below. The internals are still being thought out, but it should end up nicley either way :)

teslawoo.jpgTRWIP02.jpg

<h3>IFV</h3>

Katz came out of nowhere today with a semi textured IFV which is looking really awesome so far! Some more detail is to follow but this serves as a great start towards getting things textured and ingame!

post-3136-1202318814.jpg

<h3>New Rigger</h3>

Congratulations to TruYuri who has now been hired as a weapons and vehicles rigger for Bluehell Productions! He applied to us a while back with some work so we thought it over and accepted his offer.

So I am pleased to welcome TruYuri onto the BHP dev team! Good show!

If you think you have the skills to work on the BHP team, don't hesistate to drop either me or Chronojam a PM and we'll take your application into account :)

<h3>New PR Guy</h3>

Well I had around 7 replies for the position of PR guy, but one reply really stood out from the rest. That was Chris2k4's submission. He clearly has experience in the field of PR since he has worked on a number of source engine mods before including the great-looking Black Mesa Mod. It showed in his post submission. He is also a fellow englishman like a fair part of the AR team are, so that's nice since we can share our awesome british humour :D

Thankyou to all of the people who expressed interest in this position.

Let's take this opportunity to welcome Chris2k4 into the team as well as the community!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

It's my birthday on the tuesday of next week! So I'll be 18 then. I still can't believe how far the mod has come in relation to how relatively young I still am. It's awesome!

cfehunter announced that he is barbequing the whale, so everyone is invited round to his house to play super smash brothers.

dtrngd has been working on geting the battle bunker to work nicely with our new garrisson logic idea type thing. Here are some screenies.

Spice has offered to lend us a little bit of a hand in the rigging department, so the tester better brace for vehicle testing!

Chronojam's roommate likes APB so much that the rifle sound is starting to embed itself within the catacombs of Chronojam's mind. If you see him typing in big text, it's because he is competing with the APB rifle shooting type noise what comes from the rifle right?

Well we came second in the moddb unreleased indie game of the year contest, just pipping Reborn to the postion but just losing out to Infinity: The Quest for Earth. Good game guys, good game!

<h3>OWA's Community Support Caravan</h3>

caravan.jpg

havoc8r came to me today with news of a new total conversion project that he is starting up for C&C3. It is apparently based on an epic movie of last summer. If you want to know a bit more, got to this thread or ask havoc8r for more info!

srowell3 also brings news of his website C&C Legends and of his mod for the .9935 version of A Path Beyond, Red vs Blue. This mod is a skin and model replacement mod that aims to turn all the colours of the units back to their totally red and blue RA1 counterparts. Kicken and V0LK0V released a similar mod which is also being utilised in this mod to make it the definitive RAlism mod for APB. So check it out!

<h3>Blast From The Past!</h3>

This feature deserves it's own section now.

Today we shall be looking at the Turok: Rage Wars mod by Oblivion165.

Basically, Oblivion had been working on this mod up until last year when he released it. It is a remake of the classic N64 game, Turok: Rage Wars and it primarily consists of deathmatch combat. Everything you see was practically made by Oblivion. There are a lot of weapons and NPC bot characters on the levels to spice things up and the mod is pretty well made, aside from the obvious lack in graphical quality and limitation of the w3d engine's handling of infantry based units. The best thing about this mod apart from the nostalgia is the fact that you don't even need Renegade to play this!

Get it here!

<h3>Ivan's not home</h3>

So I'll seeya next week!

Guest Westy543

Dang Katz, that's nice for coming out of nowhere. :D

Anyway, congratulations to TruYuri. YOUR NAME IS STILL RED FOR NOW! Hopefully you'll find away around some of the rigging issues we've been encoutering.

And grats Chris2k4 on the PR job! As for the APB Rifle for Chronojam, he needs this.

Nice work with the crazy ivan!!!!

Station just keeps getting more epic!

The tesla reactor is so fucking sweet!!!!

Those IFvs look even better textured (well half textured)!!

Another great blog, keep it up!

Guest Chris2k4

This blog is made of so much epic and so much win, it is unreal. So much stuff is looking perfect. Nice job on the Crazy Ivan model, Ben, it's looking great. The Tesla Reactor and Petrol Station are both looking very RA2, which is awesome, good work, guys! The IFVs are also looking spectacular, nice one Katz. Man, I just want to run off and tell everyone about this game; well, I guess it's kinda my job now, ha ha! :D

Cheers Westy543. :)

P.S. British humour for-the-win.

Guest Aidoneus

This blog is made of so much epic and so much win, it is unreal. So much stuff is looking perfect. Nice job on the Crazy Ivan model, Ben, it's looking great. The Tesla Reactor and Petrol Station are both looking very RA2, which is awesome, good work, guys! The IFVs are also looking spectacular, nice one Katz. Man, I just want to run off and tell everyone about this game; well, I guess it's kinda my job now, ha ha! :D

Cheers Westy543. :)

P.S. British humour for-the-win.

Yes indeed, British humour for the absolute fucking win.

Guest killertomato

<h3>IFV</h3>

Katz came out of nowhere today with a semi textured IFV which is looking really awesome so far! Some more detail is to follow but this serves as a great start towards getting things textured and ingame!

post-3136-1202318814.jpg

:D Those are incredible.

screw british humor. american shock comedy is the way to go.

congrats to chris and truyuri, awesome ifvs, crazy ivan looks pretty decent, and the garrisonable buildings sound interesting

Guest EVA-251

Being American, I enjoy British humor, although sometimes I am wondering what I am laughing at.

anyways...on the subject of the blog.

Awesome Ivan. Looking forward to the Crazy, Bunnyhopping, Bullet Dodging Ivans.

Cool Gas Station.

That Tesla Reactor is disturbingly accurate. No, seriously, its sorta scary.

IFV- Looking good. I can't wait to see the full versions. But in RA2, the unit in the cameo had distinctively different color scheme. Just out of curiosity, will this color scheme be available for use?

Cool Gas Station.

You mean PETROL STATION, right? Since, you know, petrol is a liquid, not a gas, so calling it a Gas Station is just stupid since it does not sell any gas. Except the ones that provide Air Pumps to inflate your tyres anyway.