Blog 72 (12/03/2008)

Welcome to the blog. I'm fairly tired so I'll stop typing now.

<h3>V3 Launcher</h3>

The V3 Rocket Launcher is a long range, indirect combat unit employed by the Soviets. It is an improved version of the V2 Rocket Launcher, which was used to great effect during the previous war, and similarly, was a siege vehicle that fired extremely powerful projectiles.

The V3 Rocket Launchers are able to demolish buildings in only a few hits, but due to the arcing nature of the shot, are ineffective against infantry and vehicles (the round takes so long between firing and impact that most units can move out of the way). Because of the way the rockets fired, it is most effective to fire them as a group, together, rather than one by one.

It has little ability to protect itself at close range and, with no real armor, can be destroyed very quickly. Due to improvements in digital targeting technology it is possible for the rockets to be shot down while in flight making it possible for IFVs, Patriot Missiles and Guardian GI's to protect a targeted building from it. Interestingly, missiles employed a ballistic trajectory instead of a conventional launch-level-dive attack, which in effect lengthens the delivery time allowing AA defences to mow down the missles before reaching the target, however V3s are usually deployed in numbers, so missing the target is rare.

Spice's model, unwrapped by Ric and Chevy then textured by TheBeerinator! Prepare to feel some oversized missile love!

Urban_SS-1.jpgForest_SS-1.jpg

Snow_SS-1.jpgDesert_SS-1.jpg

<h3>Re-tooled Robot Tank</h3>

The main perk of the robot tank is that it can't be mind controlled. It is mainly designed to function as a tank hunter, being equipped with a powerful cannon as its primary armament. However, it has little armor. Another feature of the tank is that it runs on an advanced hover drive system, allowing it to move quickly, and also navigate over water. Because the tank is stripped down to the essentials, and does not have its own heuristic based computer to guide it, the tank itself is fairly inexpensive.

Robot Tanks have no anti-air defense. Furthermore, their armor is fairly thin. Accordingly, Robot tanks can not give much in the way of a stand up fight against most enemy forces. Furthermore, robot tanks are merely the extensions of the robot control center. The tanks themselves do not posses any intelligence. As such, if a robot control center is destroyed or shut down for any reason, the robot tanks also shut down. If the center later comes back online, then the tanks will power up again. Any tanks that happen to be over water when the center is disabled will, of course, sink and cannot be activated again.

I re-tooled this beast a while back for my portfolio. Here's what I have right now. I may completely remake the top half of it.

RobotTank-1.png

<h3>Dune Patrol</h3>

There is sand in my shoes now as I have been walking around in dtrngd's 'Dune Patrol' map. I said this a few weeks back but this map will feature dynamic sandstorms, so the map will be a little differant each time you play.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I did a bit crap in my exams. I'm having re-takes though, so no worries there. My main concern is coursework now.

Pete is working on some textures for various things. Also, he's going to have a bash at the forum skin soon. (YAY!)

The Bluehell Group will be releasing a special radioplay for easter using a section of script from Final Fantasy 7. If you want to help, contact me. Otherwise I'm quite happy playing all the characters myself ^_^

Ric is just finishing off the MP5 ready to be shown off as a complete item. Watch for that next week!

Lord_Kane, my friend and podcast co-host will be starring in another edition of the Lord_Kane show soon, with me in there for the hell of it. Expect much bag of dicks, my favorite breakfast item.

<h3>OWA's Community Support LOLitar</h3>

CartoonAvatar.png

C&C Reborn may not be everyone's cup of tea (it certainly isn't mine at the moment), so I have taken it upon myself to deliver the deserving public a more true to Tiberian Sun representation of the ill-fated indie game. So we now have features like proper canon to the C&C universe, balance without the long wait, the possibility of vehicles, compatibility with all current C&C Reborn maps and some other cool stuff including lots of re-tooling! I'm looking for someone to make me a decent sized map for running vehicles on, so come and contact me on #rebornmod on the n00bstories IRC network if you are interested!

List of teams that need help with various things:

Battle For Dune

Scud Storm/Star Wars Mod

Rise Of Apocalypse

<h3>Blast From The Tiberian Sun Past</h3>

This week we take a look at Return of the Dawn for Tiberian Sun.

Return of the Dawn is a large mod that brings all the familiar units and structures from the original C&C into Tiberian Sun. It also recaptures the gameplay whilst updating the graphics to that of the 2.5d awesomeness of TibSun. Also, it brings you TD's balance, of which made it one of the most popular multiplayer games of its time.

This is version 2.x of the mod. Version 1.0 was released ages ago, at the end of 2002. It 'only' featured new vehicle voxels and the TD gameplay, but - although I called it so - it was not really a total conversion, rather a partial conversion.

Download this mod here!

<h3>Goodbye</h3>

Ronseal; It does EXACTLY what it says on the tin.

V3 looks LEET!!!

That robot tank looks even better now!!!!

Omg that map looks epic!!!

Ty for the shout again :D

Another great blog!!! Keep it up guys!

Edited by -FW-Wolf

Guest Kakashi

Well I am obsessed with canon xD

Then RA might just be the wrong game series for you :D.

Edited by Kakashi

Guest Deadpikle

desert V3 reminds me of a giraffe for some reason :> Nice texture though beer! ^_^

In the bluehell group section, you mispelled "contact" as "contect." You really ARE tired. :p In any case, we chatted earlier about it, and I'll talk to you later about maybe helping. Or trying to help. :D

GL on joo exams. I'm taking tests right now too, although I won't know the scores for awhile x-x Standardized tests ftl

Guest Xiphias6

Wow, I love the Robot Tank! Hmm...hovering...can it run over infantry and hover/ram over trees? That'll make the Anti-Armor Cannon have an easier time with Conscripts and Ivans :p

Ah, the iconic V3. *Wonders if there's an alternate fire with nuke*

is the robot tanl going to work like the terror droid?

In a sense yes. But robot tanks won't function when the power goes down as opposed to Terror Drones.

You will need a robot control centre to build them and operate them from.

The model needs some serious work imo.

Guest Xiphias6

2 Rhinos against teeny-tiny inf are NOT funny :p Though the amazing killer sandstorm may help a bit...

"Robot tank is sex" what? :p

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

2 Rhinos against teeny-tiny inf are NOT funny :p Though the amazing killer sandstorm may help a bit...

What are we not allowed to be a bit crazy sometimes? :p

Guest Loyal2NES

I rather like this blog... However.

The V3 was laughably useless and inefficient in RA2, even if there was minimal anti-air opposing it. I'm wondering what you plan to do with it to make it less useless? A straight port would make it completely unusable, seeing as even ground-based, ground-operative units have the ability to shoot in the air in this FPS environment.

Also, I'd like to know what happens to the infantry unit on taking control of a Robot Tank - I'm worried mostly about Snipers and the like, who'd be more than happy to take the helpless controlling infantry out of commission if given the chance.

Finally, how will Hover physics be handled (For robot tanks, amphibious transports, etc)? Are you planning to take advantage of the ability to Hover, or is it simply going to LOOK like it's a foot off the ground while still being quite bound to the land?

I rather like this blog... However.

The V3 was laughably useless and inefficient in RA2, even if there was minimal anti-air opposing it. I'm wondering what you plan to do with it to make it less useless? A straight port would make it completely unusable, seeing as even ground-based, ground-operative units have the ability to shoot in the air in this FPS environment.

Also, I'd like to know what happens to the infantry unit on taking control of a Robot Tank - I'm worried mostly about Snipers and the like, who'd be more than happy to take the helpless controlling infantry out of commission if given the chance.

Finally, how will Hover physics be handled (For robot tanks, amphibious transports, etc)? Are you planning to take advantage of the ability to Hover, or is it simply going to LOOK like it's a foot off the ground while still being quite bound to the land?

It's actually pretty good in the FPS environment.

The infantry unit stays at the Robot Control Center. Soviets don't have snipers :p

They'll hover over water properly.