Blog 74 (26/03/08)

Welcome to this weeks blog, I have some special treats for you this week, so I had to make this a little later than usual. Sorry European people :D

<h3>Cel Shading</h3>

So as a little bit of fun, I decided to have a go at cel shaded renders, with awesome amounts of success! I shaded up the Fort Bradley map and stuck a load of cool units on it. I also shaded up some random things like base defences and a select few units. AR won't look like this ingame, but it's a nice little bit of fun to have with the units, seeing as RA2 is like a cartoon. Hey, that's given me an idea. I could make a comic strip out of it :)

CelRender1-1.pngCelRender2-1.png

CelRender3-1.pngCelRender4-1.png

CelRender5-1.pngCelRender6-1.png

CelTeslaTank-1.pngCeltyphoon-1.png

CelGrizzly-1.pngCelBattlefort-1.png

<h3>Armour.ini changes</h3>

danpaul88 has been re-hashing armour.ini to mainly get rid of the Renegade values, but also to help with the new naming conventions and veterany scripts. Take a look at the shiny new changes below!

<h4>Special warheads</h4>

None

Earth

Death

Blamokiller (do we need this?)

Harmless

RepairVehicle

RepairInfantry

RepairBuilding

Nuke

<h4>Primary Warheads</h4>

Shell

Used By: Rhino / Grizzly / Apoc

Strong Vs: None

Normal Vs: Buildings / Vehicles / Infantry / Air Units

Weak Vs: None

LightRocket

Used By: GGI / IFV (normal) / IFV (GGI)

Strong Vs: Air Units / Infantry

Normal Vs: Vehicles

Weak Vs: Buildings

HeavyRocket

Used By: V3

Strong Vs: Buildings / Vehicles / Infantry / Air Units

Normal Vs: None

Flak

Used By: Flak Trooper / Flak Cannon

Strong Vs: Air Units / Infantry

Normal Vs: Vehicles

Weak Vs: Buildings

Bullet

Used By: GI / Conscript / SEAL / IFV (GI)

Strong Vs: Infantry

Normal Vs: Air Units

Weak Vs: Buildings / Vehicles

IncendiaryBullet

Used By: Rocketeer / Pillbox

Normal Vs: Air Units / Vehicles / Buildings

Heatwave

Used By: Mirage Tank

Normal Vs: Air Units / Vehicles / Buildings

TeslaBolt

Used By: Tesla Coil / Tesla Trooper

Strong Vs: Infantry / Vehicles

Normal Vs: Air Units / Buildings

PrismBeam

Used By: Prism Tower / Prism Tank

Strong Vs: Infantry / Vehicles

Normal Vs: Air Units / Buildings

More changes to come and these are by no means final.

<h3>Dune Patrol</h3>

dtrngd has been working on Dune Patrol along with TheBeerinator. The new sand and cliff textures are really making this map stand out from the rest, graphically, right now. Here are a few screenshots showing the work that has been done.

ScreenShot09-1.pngScreenShot10-2.png

ScreenShot11-2.pngScreenShot12-2.png

ScreenShot13.pngScreenShot14.png

ScreenShot15.png

<h3>New Testers</h3>

If you don't know, we have been hiring and firing testers. Chronojam has posted up the additions and removals in this thread. Congratulations to the new testers (*cracks whip*) and commiserations to those who didn't make it.

Here are a few screenshots of four of the new testers breaking their Apocalypse Rising virginity. (Pics courtesy of Deadpikle)

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've had a really lazy week so far, since I have this week and next week off. Mammutpanzer will be visiting me tommorrow as he is in the country and mobile via the train.

cfehunter has Kane's Wrath. He got no RA3 beta key with it though. Nor a disc or a case....

Lord_Kane and I will be doing a podcast soon. Watch out for it.

Chevy unwrapped the ore extractor.

Ryo Hazuki a.K.a Chris, broke his arm. Get well soon man!

<h3>OWA's Community Support Mr Rogers</h3>

mister_rogers.jpg

[FW]Wolf informed me to say that Battle For Dune has just released it's 17th update. This mod is looking like it may be the last Renegade total conversion to rise from the ashes before the community really strains for talent. Good luck to those chaps! Visit their site at http://www.battlefordune.co.uk !

srowell3 also messaged me today to say that his APB RAlism mod, Red vs Blue, is doing really well with a whole bunch of new skin replacements and other little extras! Check out the mini mod at http://www.cnclegends.co.uk ! Screenshots can be found here!

Both .co.uk links so go british modders! Up the blighty!

<h3>Project of the Week</h3>

This weeks project of the week is the RAlism pack compiled by srowell3 :)

<h4>This pack Includes</h4>

Command Icons

Classic Recolours

New Sounds

New Launcher

Audio Command Fix

<h4>To Install</h4>

Every improvement is in a seperate folder. The location in brackets is where the new files should be put.

If it asks you to replace a file you may wish to back up the file before you write over the top of it.

<h4>To Uninstall</h4>

Every improvement is in a seperate folder. The location in brackets is where the files should be. To remove

changes from the game simply delete the files.

<h4>Credits</h4>

Kicken and V0LK0V made the service depots and vehicle recolours. Some may have been subtley changed

by me. But please remember that they recoloured them in the first place and I am not trying to rip off their work as my own.

The emoticons when using a command were around the forums a while ago. (originally from C&C Renegade)

The new launcher I did modify myself (new background buttons and sounds). The sounds I found and put into the game.

The menu music was a preview from the 'Tiberian Dawn' mod. Sorry guys if any of you play apb...

Here are some screenshots.

U9-1206050580.jpgU9-1206050624.jpg

U9-1206050690.jpgU9-1206050705.jpg

U9-1206050728.jpgU9-1206050758.jpg

U9-1206050796.jpgU9-1206050831.jpg

You can get it here.

<h3>As Apoc always says...</h3>

Every day is community day ^_^

Guest Deadpikle

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was the best show back in the day...

Cell shaded stuff is awesome :D I like the tesla tanks and prism tanks especially.

Why did a mirage beat my rhino? I got snuck up on, had my hud off, and didn't see that I was being hurt :<

Guest MuadDib15

Nice blog. I like the cel shaded stuff too.

@OWA: I'm sorry for going off on you guys on IRC on sunday. I was frusturated, and no one seemed to be tryig to help.

I have some 1970s late 1960s (American) muscle cars that I'm working on in Gmax, and since RA2 takes place in 1971 - 1972, I thought I could donate them to you when I'm done with them.

Guest Kakashi

It's a shame that Ren does not like cel-shading, no?

Looking how the Rhino looks compared to the Mirage I find that I actually like him being a little smaller. It's the "loltoytankwithincrediblefirepower" effect I guess, but really think it fits. But it would require making the Grizzly even smaller so it scales,I wonder if that might get a tad too small then (lol thinking of ranger scaled tanks now :D). Maybe finding something nice in the middle?

Guest r34ch

Awww, cell shaded graphics are cool....

Perhaps you could hide those cell shaded screen shots as posters or something on some AR maps....?