Blog 76 (09/04/08)

Welcome to the AR blog, brought to you today by Bluehell Productions: This is why we can have nice things :)

<h3>Alpha 4 Patch 1 Video</h3>

I got home from college today and decided to make a video for you guys :) It came out at a whopping 23 mins so there's coverage for you. It is now available for download!

<h3>Veterancy Scripts</h3>

danpaul88 has been on fire this week as he has optimised the veterancy code as well as playing with the IFV scripts (more on that below).

Here are the changes that have basically been made to the veterancy code, straight from the coder himself:

I have finally got around to finishing up the final touches on version 2 of the Veterancy scripts. The new scripts include the following changes from the original scripts;

• No support for any instant health / armour regeneration on promotion
  • Different parameters for skin and armour types on promotion (previously it applied the same new shield type to both skin and shield types)
  • Infantry now gain a new shield type on promotion instead of increased maximum health / armour
  • There is now only a single script to enable veterancy that works on all units, AI or Player. This means the veterancy system is also no longer tied into the AR unit scripts, and could be used in other mods if they wished to use our system
  • Promotions for all unit types use the same functions so the code is easier to maintain and update
  • Extra features like health regeneration for Veteran and Elite units is handled in external scripts and can listen for a special Custom which is sent on promotion events.

Following on from this I want to draw up some new points values and promotion requirements for units, since the existing ones were pretty much randomly picked off the top of my head as I was creating presets without really checking the values of other units around them.

I am thinking something like this;

Infantry: Value between 1 and 8, veteran promotion requirements about 10-22, elite requirements about 30-50

Vehicles: Value between 10 and 20, veteran promotion requirements about 20-44, elite requirements about 50-80

Buildings: Value between 15 and 30

Unit specific values based on the above general ranges would look something like;

Format: Unit : Points Value : Veteran Points Required : Elite Points Required

• Allied GI : 3 : 14 : 32
  • Soviet Conscript : 3 : 14 : 32
  • Allied SEAL : 5 : 18 : 38
  • Soviet Tesla Trooper : 6 : 20 : 40
  • Allied Rocketeer : 5 : 16 : 36
  • Soviet Flak Track : 12 : 20 : 46
  • Allied IFV : 10 : 24 : 58
  • Soviet V3 Launcher : 10 : 24 : 50
  • Soviet Rhino Tank : 16 : 32 : 66
  • Allied Grizzly Tank : 16 : 32 : 66
  • Allied Mirage Tank : 17 : 34 : 70
  • Soviet Apocalypse Tank : 20 : 44 : 80
  • Allied Chronominer : 12 : 0 : 0 *
  • Soviet War Miner : 14 : 24 : 50

NB: Buildings not included yet

* Chronominer cannot be promoted

Here is what the script variables look like in level edit. These scripts could be potentially used in any mod when they are released.

post-1542-1207511904.jpg

Here are a couple of screenshots of the scripts in action. We are also going to add a keybind which allows you to check your veterancy at any time you want. See it in action below.

(Take a look at the guys going down the hill on the top right picture. Boogie down that hill yo!)[/cravendale]

post-1542-1207592713.jpgpost-1542-1207592723.jpg

post-1542-1207592731.jpgpost-1542-1207592737.jpg

<h3>IFV</h3>

Here is the IFV in all it's unwrap-applied, disco disco glory! As you can see below, danpaul88 has been working on the scripts and has gotten the IFV to change models when a differant infantry unit enters. In the screenshots below you will see that the IFV has "transformed" into a Rhino tank because a certain infantry unit has entered. We will be implementing out cool scheme of cooldown times and such for the turret changes which will be demonstrated in a later blog.

post-1542-1207647601.jpgpost-1542-1207647610.jpg

post-1542-1207662799.jpgpost-1542-1207662809.jpg

<h3>Competition</h3>

That's right folks, the new Apocalypse Rising competition has begun! The aim is to make a game icon for Apocalypse Rising.

All the details and rules can be found in this thread!

Remember, the closing date for this is April the 30th, so you have just over 20 days left!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm back at college for six weeks now. :D But hey, after those weeks are over I don't have to go back there for any more lessons a.k.a I will have finished!

cfehunter hasn't been to college because they had to move an entire network of computers into a new building in the tech college.

danpaul88 has been working on the mod like a worker ant on steroids for the past week or so. Go Dan go!

BogdanV posted up a staff tutorial on how to rig using fake worldboxes. Yay!

TruYuri has been learning how to rig using fake worldboxes. Double yay!

As a result of this, trees now cast proper shadows. Triple yay!

Lord_Kane used his Monolith to buy me enough time to destory the Space Marines with my hellhounds. Epic match. But LK sacrificed himself to buy me the time :)

<h3>OWA's Community Kidnap Helicopter</h3>

helicopter7-s2.jpg

Stealing pretty girls since 1996.

Well I didn't get anything from anyone so you get a picture of Cheggers himself.

I'll be recording my lines for the FF7 radioplay later in the week. Providing that Deadpikle and Lord_Kane are still up for it, I have one more role left. I can confirm that TagDaze will be playing Cloud and I will be playing Barret. :)

<h3>Project of the Week</h3>

Project of the week this week is the Armageddon Steel Legion mod for Warhammer 40k Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

This mod introduces the Imperial Guard regiment of armageddon known as the Steel Legion into the fray.

Notable Features:

- Diverse new race including over 30 units and 9 buildings.

- All units are army paintable.

- Many upgrades for units.

- Most units have a random displayed look.

- New scale for tank units, to be more equal to tabletop.

- Extended AI that let's you play against steel legion.

New Features specific to DC:

- Pick between 2 unique doctrines Mechanised Infantry and Armoured Company from the HQ building.

- New tanks.

- New upgrades

- New FX, new fixes, Sounds, etc.

Requirements:

- Original Dawn of War : Dark Crusade game made by Relic and distributed by THQ.

- Dark Crusade patch 1.2.

This is a great mod and I advise anyone who had Dark Crusade to try it out. It has tanks that make C&C's Mammoth Tank look like a plastic army toy. (I think I now know where EA got their inspiration for the MARV from.)

<h3>Take care now!</h3>

Ya'll come back now y'hear!?

Guest Kakashi

Sot he Vet scripts work like they should now? Good news. Can't wait to vet up my... well about every unit ingame, especially the Mirage (Invisible self-healing tank with super-firepower? Hell yeah!!)

FYI: If your wondering why I made the IFV transform to a Rhino the answer is simple: I only rigged one version of the IFV so far, so in order to test the scripts I had to pick something else for it to transform into, and a tank from the enemy team in Desert camo was the obvious choice. Don't ask me why, I really don't know. It just was. :D

Now, if you will excuse me, I am just going to go and collapse in that corner over there from exhaustion creating all these lovely new scripts for you all to see.....

Guest TruYuri

How is that even possible? I mean, Renegade dosen't have that veterancy thing so how is it even possible?

It's called scripts. Haven't you seen crap in APB that's not in Renegade? Like, oh, the gap bubble perhaps?

Guest player1

Great blog, Glad to see the IFV script works.

Keep up the good work guys. :D

@ Wally: Make sure you have the correct codec for it...

Edited by player1

Guest Xiphias6

Just gotta love that IFV. But the back looks a bit strange...

(I notice the Mirage fires tank shells with a smoke trail...bad for allies.)

Just gotta love that IFV. But the back looks a bit strange...

(I notice the Mirage fires tank shells with a smoke trail...bad for allies.)

It's explained in the video.

Edit: First person to guess the names of all the songs in the video gets a cake!

:D got a question ...why does the IFV change into a rhino tank....kinda confuseing

FYI: If your wondering why I made the IFV transform to a Rhino the answer is simple: I only rigged one version of the IFV so far, so in order to test the scripts I had to pick something else for it to transform into, and a tank from the enemy team in Desert camo was the obvious choice. Don't ask me why, I really don't know. It just was. :)

Lol, I had to go through about 8 different media players to find one that would play the video properly. WMP played it fine, but had no sound, QuickTime played the sound but with lots of crackles and pops in the audio. VideoLAN finally managed to play it, although I had to try almost every combination of deinterlacing options before it would show the video.

OWA: Can't you use a more generic codec that whatever the hell it is your using? lol.