Blog 80 (07/05/08)

Well, it's fairly warm here in britain at the moment which makes a nice change. But the weather isn't the thing on my mind currently.

Here be the blog.

<h3>Random Weather</h3>

Thanks to danpaul88, we can now simulate random weather on a per-map basis! So in desert maps you can have sandstorms, in snow maps you can have blizzards with fog and in britain-based maps you can have lots and lots of rain (but not at the moment).

Eventually we plan to add an element of time on some maps, so for example; a map could start off in the evening and during the course of the game it could turn into night. Pretty cool huh? But yeah, that's still all to be tested.

Here is a video of the weather changing script.

<h3>Recent Aquisition</h3>

Soviet_Deso recently handed over some assets from the now defunct ROTD (Rise of the Drones) mod for C&C Generals Zero Hour.

These assets include a few animal models and faction logos which are cool, as well as a certain lady of liberty. Take a look below. (The colours on the soviet logo are not accurate because the main logo needs texturing properly. I can get away with the allied one though :D )

AlliedLogo-1.pngSovietLogo-1.png

Liberty-1.pngSafari-1.png

<h3>Allied Wall</h3>

Well, cfehunter re-did the texture on the allied walls and I added some better sandbags to the mix to make this model a ton of a lot better than what it was. Walls are the only thing standing between your base and the hoard of Soviet units (apart from the base defences of course) so make sure they don't take too many hits.

The Allied Battle Fortress is the only unit in the game which can run over these walls.

Here's a pretty picture of the new walls below.

Allied_Wall-1.png

<h3>Competition</h3>

The votes will be counted up soon.

<h3>Team Notices</h3>

I'm a little down in the dumps right now because of a few things but it's nothing to worry about. Exams are close. I do have a good feeling that I have a chance of scoring some good grades and getting through. My ultimate target is A for Theatre Studies, B for computing and B for Product Design. Lets' see how that goes eh. I went for a game of football with some mates today and got lightly sunburnt. What have they done with England this week? It's actually warm and sunny. Ah well, I can't complain.... Well I can actually, because I dislike the mayfair which is in town at the moment.

cfehunter gave me his old 200GB HDD at the weekend, so I have begun to port things over as well as clone valuable things (i.e. AR work/assets) so that they will be backed up if one HDD fails. Cool huh?

cfehunter has also finished GTAIV. Nice one!

dtrngd is working on Dune Patrol, but he has been taking photographs of a cool park which he is going to attempt to turn into a map.

danpaul88 has been fixing up the level edit build and acquiring some proper bases for the veterancy values for each weapon.

Ha Cha Cha!

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

People were complaining last week because of the lack of funnys in the blog, so I have dreamt up this new section that I can put whatever I want into.

So this week, lets look at MS Paint artwork!

Come back next week for a new random topic!

<h3>Tada</h3>

The Microsoft "tada" sound is great

ly loathed by all, isn't it?

Guest Lordlokey

That weather script looks kick ass :v, now if only we could get if for APB. (Raining canyon river anyone?)

Guest Deadpikle

I've seen the Mona Lisa vid before. It's amazing ^_^

Yay @ Lady Liberty (RIP mission1 RA2 :< ) and rhino tank.

Guest Xiphias6

Love the Rhino...*ahem*. bag of dicks, my favorite breakfast item elephant!

Are the walls gonna have the blue stripe like in-game? o.o

(Grats on a higher-tier dev blog :p Maybe RC1 will be released on Blog 100?)

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

nice walls, and nice animals, also nice statue of liberty, have to wait to see that video properly till I come home, school comps suck it lag too much to see it properly here

Guest commander_crazy

hahaha raining on england based maps now that realism but for some strange reason its not raining now....

Windows Vista Business SP1

Hmm well not sure about that verison, but I know that some versions of vista use .wma to play sounds instead of .wavs, this stopped me from directly recording sound and it may be why you are unable to record sound.

Edited by ChAoS

Nah, I know why it does not work. Fraps and Xfire require the sound card to have a loopback interface to record 'what-you-hear' and mine is currently an onboard soundcard so it does not support that. There is a new version of Fraps that works with Vista SP1 by hooking something else, but I have yet to *cough*obtain*cough* it.

Guest nimbus

Fake Worldboxes. Weather changes. Time. Between AR and APB, you'll soon have an engine as demanding as cryengine 2 :p

Guest THEEVERGOD

The changing weather looks cool, and yer rain in England very typical :D, although I think that summer has come early to England this year or something its really hot here, which is unusual :):) . And the animal look great too, I wonder if the dreaded banana throwing monkey of doom, or spitting camel will make an appearance, :).

Guest tank_killer

one question... why have the allied battle fortress run over the allied walls? why would the allies run their own walls over?

:) quick question ....why would the battle fortress want to run over its own walls :D

The Allied Battle Fortress is the only unit in the game which can run over these walls.

and that means both walls right?

Guest Glaedr

Well, in some cases the walls could be more of a hindrance than a help. Prime example would be the walls on KOTG near the FT between the War Factory and Ore Refinery, the walls allow the allies to take out the ft with infantry and then tayna the Ore Refinery.

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

or a beacon or flare, or whatever is used to superweapons in AR, could be placed on the other side of a wall, there really is a lot of possibilities

or a beacon or flare, or whatever is used to superweapons in AR, could be placed on the other side of a wall, there really is a lot of possibilities

No it couldn't. There isn't going to be a beacon or flare type weapon.

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

No it couldn't. There isn't going to be a beacon or flare type weapon.

hence the "or whatever is used to superweapons in AR" as I image there would be some kind of thing or something you can disarm, otherwise I think it might get too strong