Blog 95 (20/08/08)

I've had such a busy week, that I haven't done anything mod related so all I really have is news of what other people have been doing as well as my own epic journey through the V Festival on sunday.

<h3>Grizzly Tank Texture Update</h3>

cfehunter has been laying down the base coat and bit of the detailing for the desert variant of the Allied Grizzly Tank. So far the results are looking hot.

You may also notice that the Grizzly is using a differant desert camo to the of the Rhino, this is because we are doing faction specific camoflage for the coolness factor. Also, it's not as if the Allied and Soviet tanks were painted in the same country or even by the same company anyway, so it adds a bit of depth to the game.

Check out the first few WIP shots below.

render-5-1.jpgrender-6.jpg

render-1-2.jpgrender-3-1.jpg

<h3>Freezing Straits</h3>

dtrngd has been working furiously on his newest map, Freezing Straits. He has been trying a new type of cliff, which is looking very nice indeed. Once we get ourselves sorted with buildings, infantry and weapons, we can start to get the maps up together and think about release dates :D

By the time AR reaches you guys, we shouldn't have many (if any) APB terrain textures left in the maps, since dtrngd and TheBeerinator are working to improve the textures for the current maps. Next on the todo list is new snow textures.

Here is an image of the new cliffs.

clifftest-1.jpg

<h3>Team Messages: V Festival Report Special</h3>

I attended the V Festival at stafford on the sunday and I must say, it was pretty damn impressive.

We waited in line for about 30-40 mins before they let us into the main park. We were interviewed by a TV crew which was pretty cool. My friends went to buy festival items before heading down to the mainstage, to which people had properly sprinted to get to (everyone from clowns to biohazard technicians). We got to the stage and split up.

The Futureheads opened up the event and were fairly good, but seemsed fairly bitchy about the whole occasion, since the front man said something along the lines of "Thanks for a great time at V guys" before muttering "I was being sarcastic" unaware that people could hear him.

I went to grab a couple of pints and came back to Alanis Morrisette who really played an awesome set. she had the crowd behind her loads, which rocked. I got dragged into the mud and ended up looking rather muddy.

I was also on the two big screens at the front for a brief period. Which was totally awesome!

Also, on top of that, these two photo's were put onto the Virgin Media website. (I'm the guy with the gloves in both pictures).

Here and here.

Then the Lostprophets came on, but I was kinda sad since the crowd didn't respond much. Must have been the fact that the Prophets were a late entry into the program, so their followers were few in numbers. But we still had a laugh and when they played "Last Train Home" the crowd erupted and we all bounced and moshed along in the mud. Awesome.

The Scripts came on for couple of songs after. I kinda liked them, but some people weren't impressed at all.

Afterwards, Maximo Park hit the stage and it all got a little cold. They played a great set and were enthusiastic about it all which was great. A friend of mine also met tv's Craig David at this point in time :)

The Kooks followed them up and I just wondered off to find people whilst they played their set. I met up with these random girls who were from the same region of the UK as me! I chatted with them for a while and they gave me a poncho to keep me warm as well as biscuits! I then tried to head back to the campsite to use the shower, but they didn't buy my story of losing my camping wristband in the mud.

I returned to the main stage and made my way through the crowd where around four big shirtless guys went "AAAHHHHHHHGGGHHHHH!" right in my face, so I returned the gesture. I went on to shout "GET TO DA CHOPPA!" which got some laughs, especially as I was caked in mud. They replied by randomly going "1, 2, 3, YOU ARE A CATFISH!", so I kind of edged away from them.

I went further though the crowd to meet up with a friend of mine just before the the Stereophonics started. They played brilliantly as we jumped around in the squash near the front.

After the Phonics had finished, the Muse guys came and setup followed up by the lights being cut and the satellites in the back moving. Smoke poured from the stage. It was just like something from Guitar Hero or Rock Band, truly epic. Then Muse appeared and played a great set, during which I fought my way to the front to meet up with a few of my other friends through the sqeeze. The mosh pit must have been further back since it was just a massive squash at the front.

Most of the mud dried and peeled off me. I felt like a reptile of some sorts. By the end of the night I was looking like this.

Great Festival. 10/10 would go again.

I can't report on what everyone else has been up to, since I haven't been around much this week to ask xD

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

A speech of epic proportions.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcGcwsiFFDk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcGcwsiFFDk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcGcwsiFFDk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Who has the keys?</h3>

I don't know, but good luck to people entering the lighting round of our contest!

Adios for this week!

Love the new look of the grizzly!

I am looking forward to seeing how the cliffs turn out, dtrngd.

V fest sounds like it was epic!

And that video is win!

Another great blog!

great blog ....the grizzly is looking bad ass along with the new cliff ....and that show looked really cool , would have loved that mud pit ...and have you ever noticed "V" says all those words but his lips never move lol jk

You are taller than I thought, based on other pictures I have seen of you.

Also, grizzly is nice. :)

Haha. I'm around 6ft2, Chronojam is still taller than me though. :D

Guest Stormweaver

Wow...tis the first time i've 'seen' the grizzly in all it's glory, and it looks amazing :D

*wonders if the space behind the rear tracks could be used tactically*

Guest Glaedr

*wonders if the space behind the rear tracks could be used tactically*

Thanks to the worldbox, no, unfortunately. Unless the fake worldboxes change that. Since i dont know how they work, and they will not be in release 1, im not gonna guess and be wrong.

Thanks to the worldbox, no, unfortunately. Unless the fake worldboxes change that. Since i dont know how they work, and they will not be in release 1, im not gonna guess and be wrong.

Fake worldboxes need to be performance tested before they are even considered to be used on normal vehicles.

Guest -Xarah-

Looks great! That grizly really is getting there!

And opps, lol, did not notice until now that I won the logo competition of blog 82! :) I went on vacation shortly after the contest and forgot about the blog. Ran into the icon when I was checking the moddb site of RA2:AR. :D My reaction was "huh? oh right! awesome". :) I may have had a PM but because of a screw-up with the e-mail settings of the "Xarah" account and having made this "-Xarah-" account I may have missed a PM or whatever.

Edited by -Xarah-

Guest TruYuri

Not a bad blarg.

This is where AR beats APB=Camos for every dam vechicle :D:)

Right, that's what it is, yep.

You don't think much, do you? APB is getting camos for vehicles as new models for them are finished, but you didn't bother of thinking about that, did you?

I also want to note that AR will not be better than APB and APB will not be better than AR. As Bluehell Productions staff, we treat both of our products equally.

You don't think much, do you? APB is getting camos for vehicles as new models for them are finished, but you didn't bother of thinking about that, did you?

Good mood I see? :D

Anyway, camos are great, but I look forward to animated unit and building damage.

Guest darthcodeman

Who has the keys?

I don't know, but good luck to people entering the lighting round of our contest!

I don't have my key yet, does anybody know when we are getting them? :D

Guest Deadpikle

I don't like how that number looks right now, so it may dissapear.

It WOULD be cool if every 1/100 lt's had the number 1337 on them and had 1 extra armor. Just for...greatness.

Guest Glaedr

It would be cool if the tanks numbers went with the order purchased, so that if your team had just bought its 15th Apoc on that map, it would have 15 on it.

Guest GummiBear

Probably not possible. But you never know. :)

well I know Reborn at some point said something with their titans gonna have different numbers, so it should be possible to at least have that, if you can make it actually then got in the right order (in lack of better word :D ) I don't know ofcause

well I know Reborn at some point said something with their titans gonna have different numbers, so it should be possible to at least have that, if you can make it actually then got in the right order (in lack of better word :D ) I don't know ofcause

That picked the texture from random, but I guess it may be able to pick it up in order.

Guest Stormweaver

It would be cool if the tanks numbers went with the order purchased, so that if your team had just bought its 15th Apoc on that map, it would have 15 on it.

I like that idea.

Anyway, camos are great, but I look forward to animated unit and building damage.

I like that Idea even more.

would be nice to see destroyed buildings look destroyed...I've always thought that the apb Ore Refinery really needs to have some of that ceiling come off and a few windows beak...

hmm.

Are AR buildings going to feature destructible glass? maybe have it respawn or something when the building is repaired...love you long time if yes.

I like that idea.

I like that Idea even more.

would be nice to see destroyed buildings look destroyed...I've always thought that the apb Ore Refinery really needs to have some of that ceiling come off and a few windows beak...

hmm.

Are AR buildings going to feature destructible glass? maybe have it respawn or something when the building is repaired...love you long time if yes.

Maybe.

Guest Glaedr

Destroyable glass is cool, but destroyable WALLS would be cooler. So that Tanya could possibly use some C4 to destroy a wall at the back of the War Factory and walk in without any soviet expecting her, and then destroy the War Factory.