Blog 96 (27/08/08)

Welcome to the AR blog! Crammed with commie goodness!

<h3>Freezing Straits Update</h3>

dtrngd has been working hard on texturing freezing straits. These awesome results can be seen below, as well as the not so awesome tech outpost placeholder. Rest Assured, a new model will be made for this facility.

FreezingStraitsoverview-1.pngOPwithMountain-1.png

<h3>Drill Texture Progress</h3>

TheBeerinator has started to texture the Allied Impact Drill (modelled by rm5248 a few months back). The base coat has been layed down and the detailing has begun.

This weapon will ensure that allied technicians will be able to perform maintenance on Allied structures efficiently.... unless the batteries run out (which wont happen since the techy's carry spare batteries!).

Here is a screenie!

111.jpg

<h3>War Miner in Cel Shading</h3>

I was playing around in 3d Studio Max today and decided to cel shade the War Mine for your viewing pleasure. I think it came out pretty good :)

warminercelcool-1.png

<h3>New Staff: Guy with a wrench</h3>

You may have seen this thread in which Guy with a wrench made a load of RA2 civilian buildings. He pm'd me and now he has rejoined the team! I say rejoined because Guy with a wrench was once on the AR dev team back in the days of Blazemods. He was with us a short while, but then left due to some real life troubles.

So lets give him a warm welcome back everyone :)

av-5378.jpg

It's still a spanner.

<h3>Soviet Guard Shack and Gate</h3>

Today I re-made the Soviet guard shack checkpoint type-thing. The prevideo model wasn't as nice and I got a bit of inspiration from watching my brother play Timeshift, so I remodelled it and added in the new sandbags (generously provided by [NE]Fobby[GEN] :D).

shack-1.png

I also got Guy with a wrench on to remaking that aweful gate of mine. Here is the new gate which is now motorised :) Expect to see this enter the unwrapping phase soon. More map objects are being worked on as well, which will fill up out maps quite nicely.

civiliangate02na8-1.jpgciviliangate01ps1-1.jpg

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I have been away for the past three days, but I am now back for a while. I enrolled onto my university course yesterday, so I'm well on my way to getting myself sorted and into uni!

cfehunter is selling me some computer parts and has made a photobucket album for our Shindig 5 pictures! Legend!

dtrngd has been messing around with some tank physics today and it seems to be working out nicely :)

Lord_Kane is getting his pc up and running again next month! Expect more podcasts then!

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

<center>Achmed, the dead terrorist. (My brother linked me to this and it was funny enough to be put here).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Silence! I kill you!</center>

<h3>Until Next Time</h3>

When stuff happens on wednesdays.

I know it's a placeholder, but the..."pipe-thingy" holding the turret and the base together is...

Kinda too small and thin :/

I dont like the Patriot Missile at all...

I thought you guys were using the cameo version?

It's a placeholder, meaning that it is there to mark a location rather than to look like what it's supposed to. Would you rather have seen a giant box with the text "Tech Outpost" on it?

Freezing Straits just keeps getting better and better!

The drill is coming along nicely!!

Love the cel war miner!!!

And lose guard post and gate look win!!!!!

Another great blog guys, keep it up!

Guest EVA-251

It's a placeholder, meaning that it is there to mark a location rather than to look like what it's supposed to. Would you rather have seen a giant box with the text "Tech Outpost" on it?

I mod games too, I know what a Placeholder is. My mods are filled with them.

And yes, I would of loved to see a box with the text Tech Outpost on it.

RA2MD.mix

>isotem.mix

>>ctlond02, ctlond06, ctmoon01

Boxes with Front, Damaged, Garrison written on them.

RA2MD.mix

>isotem.mix

Yeah I've seen those in RA2, (especially the one that says "Front"). But yeah, I don't see the point in even stating what needs improving on the placeholder. It kind of makes me wish that dt never even made the placeholder up now >_<

After that truck, I demand AR in cel shading :D. Will that gate be just for cosmetics, or can it block anything?

It can block enemy units.

RA2MD.mix

>isotem.mix

You will not see that outpost EVER in your life ather than a wip version in the blog, so I don't know what your problem is :D

Guest EVA-251

My problem is when I looked at it, I found it to be ugly. Too many missile tubes.

But since it is a placeholder, big deal.

If you found my comment on wanting to see placeholders like those in the mixes I referred to as sarcastic, I was being serious.

And as for my problem...It is you stealing my kills with your Ranger-Rocket. D:

My problem is when I looked at it, I found it to be ugly. Too many missile tubes.

But since it is a placeholder, big deal.

If you found my comment on wanting to see placeholders like those in the mixes I referred to as sarcastic, I was being serious.

And as for my problem...It is you stealing my kills with your Ranger-Rocket. D:

Of course it is fugly, since the uvw texturing on it is set to 100x100 :D and cuz I stole an old sam site model instead of bugging my leader for the real patriot missile, cuz cheese.

And I'll continue the ranger rocket combo :) [/offtopic]

Guest Rufrky

cool, now all there needs to be is the Toliet shack here people can take a &^*% :D .

Just for lol's you should make the Terrorist sound like Achmed. :)

Keep up the good work.

Guest Poggel

We actually do have the toilet from RA2... if only OWA would give me the secret of his awesome cell shading to make it look more... well, cell shady.

We actually do have the toilet from RA2... if only OWA would give me the secret of his awesome cell shading to make it look more... well, cell shady.

Hehe, I'll tell you when I see you online :D

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I think the cel shading can be used in the game if there are pictures on the battlefield. For example, I think some of the buildings should be lined with propaganda posters, and cel shading would be perfect for making the art of the poster.

Guest Glaedr

Actually, cel-shading can be done as part of the game. I think i remember OWA or some other AR staff saying that it would be some kind of special shaders used to pull it off, similar to the refraction effects in APB.