Blog 97 (03/09/08)

Welcome to this week's blog. You have been marked for termination by opening this page. My associate, Sam the Tortoise, will be at your door shortly. :)

<h3>IFV Modes</h3>

So, in the quest to expand beyond the source material, the team and I have come up with this pretty nice feature.

Instead of the generic "special" IFV turret. We will be offering infantry specific turret models and possibly some new funtions.

Some of these turrets include the Tesla Turret, the Flak Trooper Turret and the Guardian GI Turret (all of which used the "special" turret model in RA2).

Take a look at these below.

SovietIFVs-1.pngGGIIFV-1.png

Here is a revised list of IFV combinations. Please feel free to discuss and suggest improvements.

IFV + Conscript/GI = Machine Gun IFV

IFV + SEAL/Chrono Commando = Advanced Machine Gun IFV

IFV + Rocketeer = Whirlwind IFV (The Whirlwind is my current dev name for the Rocketeer's RPG weapon).

IFV + GGI = Advanced Rocket IFV

IFV + Techy = (Suggestions Please)

IFV + Engineer = Repair IFV (also repairs structures)

IFV + Tesla Trooper = Tesla IFV

IFV + Flak Trooper = Flak Cannon IFV

IFV + Dog = Nothing, dogs can't drive.

IFV + Ivan/ChronoIvan = Instead of the demo truck function, we thought that we'd give Ivan a big cannon for firing his explosives from. Please let us know what you think.

IFV + Sniper = Sniper IFV

IFV + Terrorist = Demo Truck IFV

IFV + Desolator = Radiation IFV

IFV + Cosmonaut = Laser IFV

IFV + Yuri/Psy Commando = Mindblast IFV

IFV + Spy = Instead of the generic Machinegun IFV we were thinking of maybe having a Radar Jammer IFV instead. Please let us know what you think.

IFV + CLEG = Chronogun IFV

IFV + Tanya/Boris = You know what to expect.

IFV + President Dugan = The ultimate weapon.

This should add a nice bit of flair to the game as each infantry unit (exluding dogs) will find that they are gifted with custom IFV graphics. A good bit of detail in my opinion.

<h3>Gate</h3>

Guy with a wrench has updated his gate model by texturing it! the textures are applied to it, but it is now gone into UVW unwrapping, which will ensure that everything lines up nicely. Check out these images below!

gate1-1.jpggate2-1.jpg

gate3-1.jpg

Also, a couple of animation videos have been concieved using the gate. The animation is really rather nice and fits the cartoony world of RA2 pretty well in my opinion. Watch for the motor shaking as the gate raises. I really love that little feature.

<div align="center">>>Videos Here<<</div>

<h3>Level Editor</h3>

danpaul88 has released the AR level editor to the staff to play around with. As with most w3d Level edit builds these days, it updates automatically depending on what version of AR you have running, which is pretty neat.

This tool is fairly useless without AR, so you are going to have to wait for the mod to be released before it can be given out. But yes! We are thinking about you map making people out there, so don't fret!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm off to uni in just over a week. I can't wait to get there since it's going to be simply awesome!

cfehunter is getting his hands on Spore in the next few days. I thought he had it already but he reassured me that it was still in the post.

dtrngd has been mapping and playing with the vehicle physics after I had a little play around with a few things concerning them.

danpaul88 has been filling us in on how the AR version of level edit works. Cheers!

Chevy787 is back at school.

TheBeerinator has been attacked with work from all sides.

Ric has been modelling the GI's main weapon (small SMG thing).

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

GameCon Radio regular, DJBloodmoss shows us how it's done as he uses this monsterous underground drill in this australian gold mine. Good show!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Also, if you have the RA3 beta, enter CnCRules' King of the Hill Tournament, it should be fun with enough people :D

<h3>That's all folks!</h3>

That's it! I'm all out of tricks!

Guest that1guy

Pretty cool stuff in my opinion.

I do like the idea of a Radar Jammer IFV, but I think it should have longer range than the Tesla Tank or the Radar Jammer in APB since the Spy+IFV combo cannot defend itself. I think this'll be balanced out.

Now for a suggestion for a Techie+IFV combo. Same thing as Engineer+IFV combo, but repairs at a LOT slower pace.

Now as for the president+IFV combo, I've never seen that in RA2. I know it's there, I just have never been able to get it. I wonder what it's like. :D

Now I got another suggestion, maybe the IFVs with Chronoshifting units should also be able to Chronoshift..... if only for short distances. I say this cause the Chrono units will cost more then thier regular counterparts, right? If so and both Chrono and Non-Chrono have the exact same thing for the IFV, there's almost no point of getting the Chrono units then when using an IFV.

Just some of my thoughts.

By the way, nice gate. :p

Edited by that1guy

Guest Tzar469
IFV + Terrorist = Demo Truck IFV

:D Better not let the IFVs fall into the hands of the Soviets...

Also, will sniper IFVs mean the end to all Soviet infantry?

I do like the idea of a Radar Jammer IFV, but I think it should have longer range than the Tesla Tank or the Radar Jammer in APB since the Spy+IFV combo cannot defend itself. I think this'll be balanced out.

I think it was mentioned in a previous blog that the IFV could switch between the normal and special modes by pressing a button.

Edited by Tzar469

that is a sweet gate ... and the IFV unit has really became an awesome unit

:D

Now for a suggestion for a Techie+IFV combo. Same thing as Engineer+IFV combo, but repairs at a LOT slower pace.

i agree with that1guy on this

ivan shooting dynmite at people sounds alittle weird to me ..but it is crazy ivans style

love the dog combo the most lol

IFV + Dog = Nothing, dogs can't drive.

But in RA2 (not sure about YR, but I think it was the same) a dog in an IFV gave you an IFV with the ability to detect spies.

Technician in an IFV should only repair buildings, and more slowly than an engie IFV, but faster than a normal techie reps the building.

It can flick back to the normal rocket IFV at the push of a button.

"Dogs cant go into IFVs"

Lies, they can in RA3. :p

anyway, great blog. Perhaps the techy in a IFV can repair structures only and not vehicles?

They still can't drive :D

But in RA2 (not sure about YR, but I think it was the same) a dog in an IFV gave you an IFV with the ability to detect spies.

I don't remember this ever happening. Dogs still can't drive too :)

Guest Stormweaver

could the crazy ivan IFV at least have a last resort "lets detonate our ammo supply lol" secondary fire, at least? after all, if you're gonna go down...

I was wondering about the spy IFV quite a bit...now

I suppose this might be a little hard.

That's why this bit's typed on different lines, it adds suspense.

Ingame, spies are going to have the coat-hanger tool/similar, right? Is there a way to, perhaps, have a similar thing for the IFV? granted, seeing an undamaged apoc coming back to base might seem a bit much, but a flak track or even war miner :p might be rather nifty...

Just a thought - after all, with the devastating weapons the Soviet + IFV combos have, IFVs are going to have to be pretty damned worth it to risk having it stolen...

One last thing: Techy IFVs.

hmmm

I have 2 ideas:

- a turret, with 2 techy pistols on it. srsly.

- Giant blowtorch/electric drill for close range damage :p

OK, not the last thing, as I just remembered this. Engis in AR are going to have object-clearing C4 charges (removal of hedgehogs, etc) - the IFV turret should be able to remove them also (abiet slower)

Everything's looking great guys, need anymore testers?

Guest GummiBear

loves those IFV, and as everyone else said let techy repair structures only and slower than engi but faster than techy on foot

Also LOVE that gate and yeah that motor shaking really adds to the details

Edited by GummiBear

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Aww... I though that an attack dog IFV would add spikes on the front of the vechical and make it be able to squish even tesla troopers, GGIs and heros.

Anyways, I like the idea of spy IFV being a radar jammer (did I inspire you in the last blog or did you think of it before?), but I still think it should be able to listen into PMs when at a certain range of the Soviet base, because it enhances the spy's role (spys seem more to shut up Soviet communication than actually '"spy" on them) and it makes the spy IFV worth it's cost, since I don't think it would be a good idea to make it have too far of a jamming range to make up for the $1600 cost.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

... and it makes the spy IFV worth it's cost, since I don't think it would be a good idea to make it have too far of a jamming range to make up for the $1600 cost.

If I were a Spy, I would rather try to get the veteran ranks for my team and not try to jam the radar. The IFV is always a fast transport to the buildings you want to infiltrate if you don't meet too much Terror Drones, and actually the Rocket IFV version is also better vs infantry AND buildings than the grizzly (worse vs tanks though)

Radar jamming is just an option if you're bored or can't get to the chosen building, and maybe help your team by switching the enemy's radar off. There are plenty of options/tactics you can choose from, you don't need to make every combination uber pwnage, while they still can be if you know how to use something and WHEN to use it :D

Guest EVA-251

k well, since I say it in every blog topic, this will be the last time.

Looking good guys.

That being said, I wont be commenting on your models unless I see something wrong.

Anyways, you asked for feedback on your choices for IFVs.

Ivan IFV= Primary should be dynamite cannon, secondary = DURKADURKA

Spy IFV= Sounds good. Or maybe a silenced MG, IDK. Thats only useful if you plan on making sounds audible further than 10 feet away from their sources.

President IFV = Fuck yeah.

Guest cnc95fan

If you want my opinion, radars are going to have to play a much larger role then just showing dots and triangles on a boring looking circle. Otherwise the Radar Jammer will be just above useless.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

If I were a Spy, I would rather try to get the veteran ranks for my team and not try to jam the radar. The IFV is always a fast transport to the buildings you want to infiltrate if you don't meet too much Terror Drones, and actually the Rocket IFV version is also better vs infantry AND buildings than the grizzly (worse vs tanks though)

Radar jamming is just an option if you're bored or can't get to the chosen building, and maybe help your team by switching the enemy's radar off. There are plenty of options/tactics you can choose from, you don't need to make every combination uber pwnage, while they still can be if you know how to use something and WHEN to use it :D

I'd be careful with that tactic, because then you would probably die while infiltrating the building and give the IFV to the enemy, which is just as bad as giving a mammoth tank to the Allies in APB, because Soviet combinations are MUCH more powerful than the Allies (e.g. terrorist IFV, tesla trooper IFV, AR crazy ivan IFV)

Also, if you are going with the radar jammer idea, I think it would be best that there be no radar static noise when the Soviet radar is jammed, becasue radar jammers are used for ambushes, and the noise alerts the enemy of it. It's like putting up a sign that says "Ha ha! We're gonna ambush you and you can't see us!" near where you are hiding.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

If you want my opinion, radars are going to have to play a much larger role then just showing dots and triangles on a boring looking circle. Otherwise the Radar Jammer will be just above useless.

Should read the older blogs, the radar has other functions too!

Guest Kakashi

Maybe a "protect the VIP" style side-pbjective or soemthing? At least if you want to put Dugan into an IFV I guess you need to have him a player controlled unit at some point.