Blog 98 (10/09/08)

Welcome to this week's blog. this will be the last blog that I will type from home in a while, since next week I shall be in university!

I honestly can't wait! Anyway, to the business end of the blog.

<h3>Crazy Ivan IFV</h3>

So, in my special IFV turret designing, I came to making up the Crazy Ivan IFV. I came up with this, a compressed-air piston cannon that fires out dynamite.

There will also be a secondary ability to detonate all of the lovely dynamite in the back of the turret for some decent damage.

So:

Primary Fire: Bomb Chucka

Secondary Fire: Kaboom

Here is the model that I have made for this wierd and wacky combination of IFV.

IvanIFV-1.png

<h3>Allied Barracks Interior</h3>

dtrngd was eager to get away from mapping for a while, so I sent him a little project to work on, the Allied Barracks interior. Since we decided that MCT's were evil, we have put more focus into building weakpoints as a nice alternative. One of the confirmed weakpoints for the allied barracks is a weapons cache that will take the whole building with it when it is destroyed.

Since allied soldiers live in the allied barracks, dtrngd has made a significantly large underground area to compensate. This will make for excellent gameplay in infantry only maps, since their are more routes to the lower levels. Here at AR, we dont; like choke points, so expect this multi-route theme to be carried out throughout most, if not all, of our structures.

Opposite the room where the major weakpoint is located, is an office from where Tanya can be requisitioned. This will obviously not happen in the first release, but when Tanya is included into the game, this is where you will go to call upon her combat expertise. There will be a similar area in the soviet barracks so that boris may be called upon).

Anyway, enough talking, check out these images to see what I mean.

ABarracksinterior1-1.pngABarracksinterior2-1.png

If you have any ideas, do not hesitate to post them!

<h3>Soviet Refinery Interior</h3>

Since the Soviet Refinery had a lack of internals, I drew up some quick concept art for a basement level and sent it over to Ric so he could model it up. The basement level is going to be a bit like the strut E heliport area in Metal Gear Solid 2, as there are a some conveyer belts running with crates and whatnot piled up.

There will also be walkways to cross over the conveyer belts to the major weakpoint of the refinery, the furnace and processing controller/regulator.

Here is my quick concept drawing:

SovRefInfernals.png

And a render of Ric's model so far:

Refbasement-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm off to university on sunday! I honestly can't wait!

It is also cfehunter's birthday on Sunday! He'll be 19!

chevy787 is back at school. Where did the summertime go? I know that, here in britain, we never got a summer because of the rain! :)

r34ch is also off to university as well. Good luck man!

Kane000 is off to college too! I didn't forget, honest!

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

Being the day that it is, I had to post this :) :

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

Also! Make chocolate cake in 5 minutes with this clever recipe. (I'm not endorsing it in any way because I haven't tested it yet :D)

Find the recipe here!

<h3>Wait a minute!</h3>

There is something very special coming for blog 100. Stay tuned! See you next time!

Not quite sure if I like the Crazy Ivan IFV. I guess there should be more of a benefit to stealing an IFV as Ivan instead of blowing yourself up after all that work but... still... rubs me the wrong way.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Thanks for responding on the Ivan IFV. Although I wanted to see it shoot cartoon cannonball bombs, I'm perfectly fine with what you have.

How elaborate will the interior of the Barracks be to make it look more like a Barracks (like will you add a dining area, showers, etc.)?

Another question is: will the Refinery interior show the (imaginative) prosses of refining ore? Like in the single player games on Renegade where you see in the Tiberium Refinery the tiberium smelted and cut into little cubes on the conveyer belt, I hope that the Ore Refinery will have a steelmill like interior with bright hot smelted ore pouring from large machine operated pots into molds and sent into the mysterious place by the conveyer belt.

(As with my imagery of the Ore Refinery, how creative and flamboyant will you take the designs of the buildings?)

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest Stormweaver

lol, uber-fast unit with delayed reaction hit-and-run-and-boom bombs.

Add to that Ivan's radar invisability etc, I an see i'll be getting this unit whenever i can...and by force if necessary >.<

Barracks is looking awesome...it looks like it will be fun to defend =D

dtr, master of buildings too? The bar layout is perfect, if all your buildings will be like you say, then 'tanya' camping should be no problem and spys will have a much easier time :D

I like the little splitter in Ric's, reminds me of a dodgy airport I was at...

IFV is win, although initially the thumbnail makes the IFV look hairy.

Also, gl OWA man

Not quite sure if I like the Crazy Ivan IFV. I guess there should be more of a benefit to stealing an IFV as Ivan instead of blowing yourself up after all that work but... still... rubs me the wrong way.

Well it might be one of those moments were you've got the War Factory down to half health and someone buys an IFV. You steal it and maybe then you'd be more thankful of the detonation mode?

I don't mind either way, but I see where your coming from.

Guest Pyrodaimon

Hell! You really are working fast. There's been a whole load of updates this week.

Now let's see:

-I really like the CI IFV. It looks awesome and I'm sure it'll function awesomely (is that a word?)

-Something I want to know. If a CI IFV is destroyed, will it explode and damage everything around?

-The Barracks open interior is great news. It can be a nightmare to defend small buildings with a big choke point in 'em. It'll give spies more space to run around also.

lol, uber-fast unit with delayed reaction hit-and-run-and-boom bombs.

Add to that Ivan's radar invisability etc, I an see i'll be getting this unit whenever i can...and by force if necessary >.<

Wow! I didn't know that CI was radar-cloaked. Not that I want to attack or anything but doesn't Ivan have enough powers/weapons already?

-The Barracks open interior is great news. It can be a nightmare to defend small buildings with a big choke point in 'em. It'll give spies more space to run around also.
What would be the point of an Allied Spy hiding in the Allied Barracks?

i think he's grateful it has the main fire r34ch, saying now u dont ALWAYS have to be disapointed, i think he only conplaining about how it look.

No, actually I was basically saying "while I see the point of having it, it's so un-RA2ish that I'm not sure if I like it or not"

No, actually I was basically saying "while I see the point of having it, it's so un-RA2ish that I'm not sure if I like it or not"

In RA2, the IFV is basicly for strenghtening the weapon power of the unit inside. But in RA2, most of the special IFV turrets looked the same.

We are adding this nice little feature, having a different looking turret for every unit (ok, except the gi and conscript, they have the same turret)

You will probably be able to throw dynamites with Crazy Ivan in AR. The C.I. IFV basicly longers the throw range, and secondary fire does what it did in RA2, so it's kinda doing the role of the IFV logic. And well, even if it turns out bad, that's what testing is for :D

Guest killertomato

I honestly can't wait!

Nutcase. Anyway, the open-plan barracks design (as well as the weak points and the "Tanya room") is a breath of fresh air. If bluehell makes all the buildings in AR and APB's next version like that, I will be happy. Also, the CrazyIvanmobile is looking awesome. It exemplifies everything I want in a soviet-themed vehicle.

Awesome blog, the interiors are looking nice. Also I wish both OWA and r34ch good luck at their Uni's :D.... I do however feel a little left out for not getting a shout out lol :/ I am starting college this week you know lmao!

Dude, you should have told me!

It's in there now.

Up the british!

Guest Pyrodaimon

What would be the point of an Allied Spy hiding in the Allied Barracks?

Assassination? Same as in APB?

Of course, the Commies have to steal themselves an IFV before they can even think about what infantry to put in it, and unless the Allied team is full of n00bs, that's going to be tough to do.

Tough but not impossible. In APB, phasetank thefts happen.

Edited by Pyrodaimon

He means assasinationg poor soviet fellas trying to sneak into the bar... Oh and the ten minute camping and spying on the soviet chat before that. Not to mention blowing out all the soviet plans in global chat, since soviets won't be able to kill you anyways.

Guest ivan55599

although Crazy Ivan's IFV looks little weird, but mortar rank ftw! ifv_flak2.gif

btw, when GI enter in IFV, it turn to machinegunner IFV. if technician enters, it turns to normal IFV?

Edited by ivan55599

btw, when GI enter in IFV, it turn to machinegunner IFV. if technician enters, it turns to normal IFV?

Operation: You buy an IFV and enter it with, for example, a GI. The turret stays as the default, rocket turret until you push "Q" initiating the transformation sequence. In this period, your IFV is still mobile, but it cannot return fire. The transformation sequence takes around 10 seconds to complete. Then you have your unique infantry turret, more about this below. To defualt back to the rocket turret, you push "Q" again and your IFV goes through the transformation sequence once again (around 10 seconds). We hope that this system will make the IFV as versatile as possible without making the unit too absurdly adaptable in the heat of battle.