Blog 143 (29/07/09)

Heya guys, welcome to the blog! Today we have cake, jelly and all things culinary as we explore the territories of dessert!

Just kidding, here's some mutually assured destruction in text-form.

<h3>Logo Redux</h3>

As some of you may know, I've been revamping the AR logo. The one we are currently sporting has an aweful look to it, since it only uses basic colours for the materials.

However, I have been working to update the logo this week and my work has payed off.

Check out the improvement! If you want to compare, check the top banner on http://www.apocrising.com; it's bad. :D

ARLogoTextFixed-1.png

This isn't final either. Soviet_Deso has now taken the logo and will add his own touch to it. You guys saw how well he did with the two faction logos, so this should be something special. Check back in a week or two for further improvement.

<h3>Soviet Repair Node</h3>

Remember that concept we threw out a while back? The concept of instead of repairing the weakpoint, you have points around the building where you can get your repair bonus instead. The Allied version has a few drill sockets on it which allied technicians can use to repair the buildings.

The soviet variant provides a much more visual experience of repairing. Here we have a node complete with pumping pistons and grinding gears. Industrial and rugged, just how the soviets build their stuff. Technicians will be able to weld at these points to repair the structure faster.

dtrngd has done a great job on this I reckon. Take a look at the image below for a look at what you and your comrades will be repairing. Also included is a video, because we love to share.

<h3>S4M Progress</h3>

Poggel has been working on the S4M. He has added a double cartrige ejection system to accompany the double clip. This weapon is almost complete!

Take a look below.

s4m3-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been doing various bits and pieces behind the scenes this week. Concept art for the PT's and something that will change the way that you guys refill forever :) I'm also off to a birthday party on sunday. Shout out to Shannon who is 19 on saturday :)

cfehunter got a place at Staffordshire university, so he'll be living pretty close by at uni next year :)

dtrngd has been working on the Soviet War Factory. It's coming along nicely and features some pretty creative pathing.

danpaul88 has been waiting for Windows 7 to come out on the MSDNAA. Not long now!

TheBeerinator has been sent some Purchase Terminal concept art to work on.

Chevy787 will be on vacation on the 8th for a few days visiting relatives.

The rest of the team have been around and about.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

So last week we has Vince with the Slap Chop. Lets see if the Scout from TF2 does any better?

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>So...</h3>

......BONK.

Guest Occult13

Good blargh so far. I still dislike the pistol's trigger, but the rest is awesome. That repair node dtrngd made is very good looking, and the new logo looks pretty good.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

The S4M is looking better for me. The only things I would advise is to make it look chunkier in the bolt areas (in other words, just the general back area) and have the cocking lever pulled every shot. It won't be called an S4M anymore, but what the heck? I imagine you picked the gun because it looked simple and cheap, while also being unusual.

I like the new logo. I have to be honest, I really disliked the old one of just gluing together the Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge plaques together to the point I wanted to smash it with a hammer. The new logo also goes along with the style of the other logos very well too, which are unique for looking... unique.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest r34ch

It was only a matter off time until the scout version surfaced in the blog :D

dtr, excellent repair node. Make the pistons go animate down deeper and you've got a winner.

I'm liking the new logo, great work man!

The Soviet Repair Node is awesome, dtrngd is doing a lot more modelling!!

Amd the S4M is just awesome, very nice.

Another great one, keep it up!

Guest Glaed

New logo looks much better than the old one. Dtrngd's modeling is awesome as always, and I can't wait to see the S4M in action.

Guest HYBRID BEING

:D Am i only one who dislikes logo?! I still think this way.

The Repair Node is great. A little question (i know it won't happen, just curios :) ):

About Repair Points: since damaged building will gain cracks, then why not make this cracks to be a Repair Points?)
Is it implementable?)

Nice S4M. Looking at trigger at first i was like "Water pistol, WTF?!" but then i thought it will work out.

Guest HunterXc

I love the node animation, seriously, it's going round and round and round and round and..... but yeah, it's quite awesome, gj DT!

Guest r34ch

seems like people dislike this blog, they're favoring bumping old blogs :p

No, each AR blog is just so epic they take weeks to sink in.

Guest M1941

I honestly love the modeling on the repair node, but the S4M is umm somewhat of an unusual interpretation. Is this due to engine restrictions not handling the animation requirements?

The RL S4M uses a tip open style loading like an over-under shotgun to accommodate its unusual 'silent'+ cartridges. Which due to the accelerating piston extending some distance in front of the head of the case once fired, were fairly unreliable in automatic pistols*.

+ 7.62 PZAM silent cartridges Info here

*Till the development of the SP-4 series of silent rounds for the PSS auto-loading pistol, where the piston is fully contained within the cartridge.

Guest HYBRID BEING
I honestly love the modeling on the repair node, but the S4M is umm somewhat of an unusual interpretation. Is this due to engine restrictions not handling the animation requirements?

The RL S4M uses a tip open style loading like an over-under shotgun to accommodate its unusual 'silent'+ cartridges. Which due to the accelerating piston extending some distance in front of the head of the case once fired, were fairly unreliable in automatic pistols*.

+ 7.62 PZAM silent cartridges Info here

*Till the development of the SP-4 series of silent rounds for the PSS auto-loading pistol, where the piston is fully contained within the cartridge.

It was mentioned in previos blog:

We gave the S4M a side mounted clip to give the weapon a few extra shots before it needs to be reloaded.
Yep, a pistol with a side mounted clip is badass :D

Guest AdrwIvrsn

http://www.bluehellproductions.com/forum/index.php...st&p=381261

I previously described this too, plus the fact that the gun is too thin and small to accommodate a reliable feed and ejecting mechanism. I tried to suggest making the gun work that way, making each shot very powerful to make up for the constant reloading.

Since I doubt they accepted the idea, I'm now pushing to make the gun a little different from the S4M. Perhaps creating a double barreled liberator-like pistol with a side magazine, something unusual but also cheap enough to waste in a suicide bombing.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest M1941

AdrwIvrsn: Good to know I wasn't the only one who had a double take upon seeing it. :D

Yep, a pistol with a side mounted clip is badass :)
Reading the other blog post and the response here it seems like your essentially looking for a self-loading small concealable pistol. I'm not going to touch the 'rule of cool' logic behind dual side-loading mags as AdrwIvrsn took care of the issues associated with that already, and I'm not for beating dead horses :p

If I may ask though what kept the PSM out of the running? Its visually distinct from the PM/PMM, it has an 8 round internal magazine, its certainly not overpowering as far as sidearms go and is from the 'correct' (as correct as anything in the red alert universe is anyways) time period. I suppose it comes from working too long with other mod groups and seeing a lot of 'stick this here instead!' or 'it look awesome if you turned this around backwards!' moments as far as weapon design in games is concerned that the modification of the current model gets in my craw.

I'm not QQ-ing about it, nor am I going to loose any sleep over being quietly passed over for project aesthetics :p The actual modeling is excellent btw, that's not what Im taking issue with, but taking such concessions on any firearms always seems to rub me the wrong way. If your looking for something completely new and more 'Red Alert-y' than the PSM or S4M I'm willing to do some quick concept research. Provided I dont come down with swine flu or get eaten by the hounds of hell (aka RL) Id be more than willing to pitch an unofficial alternative concept image for you while I've got the free time.

Guest Foley

Personally, I liked the old banner better.

Nice work on the repair node, btw, how do I get rid of this red writing under my name?