Blog 144 (07/08/09)

Hey guys, this blog is a little late this week due to the fact that I've been really busy out and about with friends and such.

Anyway, let's do this!

<h3>War Factory Lift</h3>

dtrngd has been working on getting the Soviet War Factory modelled out so he can move on to another structure. The massive cargo lift that brings soviet weaponry up from deep within the bowels of the war factory is animated as a demonstration of what will happen ingame.

I heard that it currently takes 10-12 seconds to build a tank. This waiting time will hopefully encourage people to use infantry more, as they are quicker to field than vehicles.

Here are a couple of videos demonstrating this lift in action (with an added WIP Kirov).

<h3>Purchase Terminals and Refills</h3>

So we had a little chat amongst ourselves and made some final decisions on refilling.

Refilling will not be a purchase option in the buy menu. It will be a slower trickle system integrated into certain purchase terminals, a bit like the Battlefield 1942 system of medical lockers. This system ensures that defenders cannot abuse the refill system in a way that gives them too much of a "home advantage". We are also going to do something about rebuying, so that it is eliminated as potential advantageous abuse.

TheBeerinator is working on the purchase terminals at the moment. They are looking really good but aren;t just ready to show to you guys yet. Rest assured, we are going to be using some clever gridmapping to get animated pt screens, as well as some nifty animations for refilling. These are going to be special.

<h3>Revolver Unwrapping</h3>

Chevy787 has currently got Crazy Ivan's revolver to unwrap. Since this weapon is going to have some pretty awesome animations it has been split up into parts. Just to give you a little idea of how it will animate, Chevy has colour coded the model. Every different colour means a different piece.

Take a look below!

revolver-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been busy pretty much all of this week. I gave blood on wednesday, but they could only get a third of what they wanted out of me. Bah.

I saw cfehunter on sunday. We played some Rock Band and talked to some potential new team members.

dtrngd has been working his socks off on the Soviet War Factory, but needs me to have some free time so we can go over it.

danpaul88 might just be downloading the Windows 7 RTM by now.

TheBeerinator is doing a lot of cool stuff at the moment.

Poggel is on a break.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

The "We're Looking For..." section of the blog is a new section that will regularly feature in the blog. It will basically outline what kind of staff we are looking for when.

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Texture Artists</h4>

<h4>3d Model Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in either a 2d or 3d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the forseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competant at creating their own 2d textures or 3d models in 3d Studio Max/Maya.
  • is over the age of 16.

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures or models, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Everyone loves a bit of ventertainment.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Haw-some</h3>

Gah, I'm tired now.

Guest Boris

Though it lacks in images it makes it up with 2 epic vids and an unwrapped revolver. Keep up the good work OWA and the rest of the team :D

Guest MartinMb

The War Factory lift is awesome ! I guess that the building top will also open for Kirovs.

Edited by MartinMb

Guest rabbot

Awesome work guys! War Factory lifts look awesome can't wait to see a Kirov get lifted up while walking around the War Factory!

Guest Soviet89

You're actually going to be able to purchase Kirov's?!

If it's true, i could imagine being on Allies and seeing an Air Armada of 15 Kirov's slowly making their way towards the Allied base. :D

Guest Soviet89

Yea, but not in the first release. Kirovs are Battle lab tech, and that building is not going in yet.

So realistically about 2nd/3rd release?

Gotcha.

Guest GummiBear

love that animation hmm would be nice place for a spy stand in the basement would be pretty secure and could tell your team what the soviets are building :v

pretty nice animats. l bet all my cash that ivan's revolver acts like this

I bet your right, gonna be so awesome

You're actually going to be able to purchase Kirov's?!

If it's true, i could imagine being on Allies and seeing an Air Armada of 15 Kirov's slowly making their way towards the Allied base. :D

hmm if I saw 15 kirovs I would jump in a IFV and get my whole team to do the same, as chances are that are most of the soviet team if not whole team and with the IFV's speed vs the kirov speed they ar down WAY before they reach allied base

Guest Glaed

hmm if I saw 15 kirovs I would jump in a IFV and get my whole team to do the same, as chances are that are most of the soviet team if not whole team and with the IFV's speed vs the kirov speed they ar down WAY before they reach allied base

Screw IFVs, just get GGI's (of course, GGIs in IFVs would be even better).

Guest r34ch

Screw GGIs in IFVs.

just get seals in IFVs, and while the armada of kirovs trundle to your base, scoot off to theirs and C4 the hell out of it...

Guest Stormweaver

Battle Fortress imo.

well...if Kirovs are as hideously slow as they are in RA2...

...I'd just get in a nighthawk and sit in front of them. It might take me half an hour to kill them with the mini-machine gun, but it's not like they could shoot me :/

War Factory is looking epically awesome. as is rest of blog really...

I would apply for the 3d modeller position, but I havn't even being using the software for a week yet, and I suck :/ Might point occult13 to this though, as he's becoming rather epic at it.

Guest Occult13

dtrngd: working on the war factory since the first ages of man, and still impressing me. :D

Keep up the good work. That revolver is ready to be textured :p

Guest EVA-251

well...if Kirovs are as hideously slow as they are in RA2...

...I'd just get in a nighthawk and sit in front of them. It might take me half an hour to kill them with the mini-machine gun, but it's not like they could shoot me :/

But awhile you are doing this, you forgot to pay attention to what is above you, and a Kirov takes advantage of that.

SovietNub [Kirov Airship] Stormweaver [Nighthawk Transport] :D

Nice blarg, btw.

Guest lawmakerex

lol by the time he manages to destroy the kirov the game would be over, or he gets shot by a flack weapon. Any way great blog and great War Factory lift, the only thing is that i hope no kirov will get stuck in it. AWESOME blog people!

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Give me a couple of years and I might join you, provided I have the spare time. You already know I have the artistic talent for the job, but I lack the knowledge of how to use 3ds max to the kind of level I get up to with the "Mickey Mouse" program SketchUp.

Anyways, the War Factory trap door and vehicle elevator looks epic. Seriously, waiting at the floor below ground level and seeing tanks go by is just incredible.

Also, when animating the reload animation, are you thinking of putting in some extra animations to make it look like it is in the hands of Crazy Ivan, rather than just a generic reload? I think that it could be made that after he loads it up, he could twirl the revolver around his finger before holding it still and cocking the hammer.

Give me a couple of years and I might join you, provided I have the spare time. You already know I have the artistic talent for the job, but I lack the knowledge of how to use 3ds max to the kind of level I get up to with the "Mickey Mouse" program SketchUp.

Anyways, the War Factory trap door and vehicle elevator looks epic. Seriously, waiting at the floor below ground level and seeing tanks go by is just incredible.

Also, when animating the reload animation, are you thinking of putting in some extra animations to make it look like it is in the hands of Crazy Ivan, rather than just a generic reload? I think that it could be made that after he loads it up, he could twirl the revolver around his finger before holding it still and cocking the hammer.

I have some knowledge about 3ds max, that I'd be more than willing to share, for people who want to learn.

The Crazy Ivan revolver animation will have that bit of flair that you'd only expect from the dynamite-loving commie himself.

Guest HYBRID BEING

*TF2 Heavy voice*Good, very-very good!

Just little note about gears which lift the platform.

You have parts expanding after each other(1), but isn't it better if they move allogether(2)?

Telescope-vi.gif

Guest AdrwIvrsn

It can work both ways. It depends on how the hydralics work, although the second one is more common (and perhaps, realistic).

Guest Michael_sama

Amazing animation work, and it shows how dictated the team is to the project.

That in mind, I wonder how effective a kirov will be in a game. The Allies have the advantage with speed. Once a teammate spots it, they'll alert the others for an anti-air assault. Then again it could be used as a ruse too, so I see potential.