Blog 145 (13/08/09)

So you like blogs comrades? Well here is blog with explosions and factories that build big tanks that go go to war-o. This gibberish double dutch makes no sense whatsoever..... spork.

<h3>Massive Damage</h3>

So if you were to head into your local Alllied Barracks and shoot at the ammunition boxes for a while with your PPSH-41, you'd cause quite a bit of bother. "Why?" I hear you ask; well I'll tell you.

danpaul88 has coded up some scripts to support building weakpoints. So if you shoot these weakpoints, bad things will happen, as is evident in this video.

<h3>Find Me and Follow Me, Through Corridors and Factories!</h3>

dtrngd has completed the Soviet War Factory model! the interior is really epic in my opinion and will be a great addition to Soviet Bases once textures are made, pt's are placed and scripts are applied.

Take a look below for images, because I know that's what you guys like :)

sov_wf_fin1-1.pngsov_wf_fin2-1.png

sov_wf_fin3-1.pngsov_wf_fin4-1.png

sov_wf_fin5-1.png

<h3>A lesson brought to you by One Winged Angel</h3>

Well, what can I say, today we shall be looking at smoothing and how it affects models.

These are the new 3rd person arms for characters; to be used in Apocalypse Rising. at the moment they look kind of blocky, with square fingers and angular arms. This is no good.

But! A low polygon mesh like this can be quickly turned into something smoother with a little modifier called Mesh Smooth. This modifier is really no good on higher poly objects, such as the Grizzly Tank or the Soviet War Factory. But, for low poly objects like this arm, it's pretty useful.

Take a look at the difference below.

CharArm-1.pngCharArm2-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I had a week of partying last week, which was a nice change from the norm. I'm off to a friend's birthday party on friday for more partying though. This is a shoutout to you Scott; You legend!

cfehunter has reinstalled his modding tools of modding and is ready to get back to modding. Yes! Modding!

dtrngd has just about completed the Soviet War Factory and it's awesome. He's now taken on the Tesla Reactor to complete the internals there. Due to some ideas, that I thought up yesterday, this structure is going to be epic. thinking about it now, most of the structures in Apocalypse Rising are pretty damn epic.

danpaul88 fixed some problems with the file server and now it's functioning properly again.

TheBeerinator has nearly finished texturing the first Allied purchase terminal. In Apocalypse Rising, purchase terminals will come in three differant sizes. More on this in the coming weeks.

Ric has been finishing off the Chrono Miner model.

The rest of the team have been doing stuff.

Also, happy birthday to Westy543!

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

I told you this section would be back. :D

Just to reiterate, we are looking for extra staff members, so this section will feature until we find some people.

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Texture Artists</h4>

<h4>3d Model Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in either a 2d or 3d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the forseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competant at creating their own 2d textures or 3d models in 3d Studio Max/Maya.
  • is over the age of 16.

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures or models, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Welcome to Clarkson Island.

<center><object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object></center>

<h3>So, we have the best RA2 to FPS conversion...</h3>

...in the world.

Guest ivan55599

1# for first time

interestingly big buildings. idk that it is even possible in w3d. hopefully not much lag in scripts 4.0

video doesnt work, why dont u put them to youtube?

edit argh wally! :D someday l'll be first

Edited by ivan55599

Guest Occult13

Nice work, as always. That War Factory is... dtrmazing.

And I'm sure the arms will end up looking really good. Good work on the weakpoints, too.

DTR amazeing job on the War Factory ....*sigh another video i cant see :D

Right Click -> Save As

Does this work?

1# for first time

interestingly big buildings. idk that it is even possible in w3d. hopefully not much lag in scripts 4.0

video doesnt work, why dont u put them to youtube?

edit argh wally! :) someday l'll be first

"Anything is possible, the amount of work required is something else" - Sir Kane

Hopefully a lot of our stuff will be youtube'd in the near future.

Buildings are epic in AR....

but you posted the blog twice.....

Cheers. My internet lagged a bit, but I have cleared this up now.

Guest HYBRID BEING

heavy_4.jpg You did well!

Good work on weakpoints, though a minor weakpoin seems a bit fragile :D

The screaming GI's caress my ears. Hope you won't replace voices like EA replaced them in RA3 (yep, if some of you don't know in RA3-beta were used voices from RA2).

dtrngOd, nuff said.

Hands are neat. Mesh Smooth is realy making miracles, lol.

Looking forward to purchase terminal and Tesla Reactor. So, different terminals for each side and beyond this 3 sizes and we have total of 6 terminals, right?

And... can't but agree with the last statement. Who else can give us such bizzare and cool stuff?! :)

hmm explosions makes me to destry buildings with tanks than infantry

Use Seals and Ivans) Edited by HYBRID BEING

Guest tfkillzone

wow, very nice.

is it just me or does clicking the third image take everyone else to the second one too? >.>

"occasionally we get the odd gay clarkson...." lol

wow, very nice.

is it just me or does clicking the third image take everyone else to the second one too? >.>

"occasionally we get the odd gay clarkson...." lol

Fix'd.

The barracks look more out of place than usual. Is any concrete going to be added to the base to make things blend better?

It's the bad lightning :D

heavy_4.jpg You did well!

Good work on weakpoints, though a minor weakpoin seems a bit fragile :D

The screaming GI's caress my ears. Hope you won't replace voices like EA replaced them in RA3 (yep, if some of you don't know in RA3-beta were used voices from RA2).

dtrngOd, nuff said.

Hands are neat. Mesh Smooth is realy making miracles, lol.

Looking forward to purchase terminal and Tesla Reactor. So, different terminals for each side and beyond this 3 sizes and we have total of 6 terminals, right?

And... can't but agree with the last statement. Who else can give us such bizzare and cool stuff?! :)

Use Seals and Ivans)

We'll be using all of the unit sounds from RA2 and Yuri's Revenge with the exception of the unit commands, e.g. "Affirmative", Destroy That Vehicle".

You're right, 6 terminals. 3 for each faction. We love bizzare stuff.

Turbo Smooth Kicks Mesh Smooth's ASS!!!

I prefer Meshsmooth, since Turbosmooth tends to go overboard sometimes.

Guest Stormweaver

meshsmooth > Turbosmooth.

I love the idea of the major weakpoint blowing everyone in the building to hell. Unfortunately, the major playerbase this game will get will be KD whores.

Life aint fair, is it?

I love the idea of the major weakpoint blowing everyone in the building to hell. Unfortunately, the major playerbase this game will get will be KD whores.

Life aint fair, is it?

How do you mean? No APB style tanyas C4ing a building and camping the spawning players so that would reduce KD whores (or at least make life hard for them)

Guest AdrwIvrsn

How do you mean? No APB style tanyas C4ing a building and camping the spawning players so that would reduce KD whores (or at least make life hard for them)

Also, those APB Tanyas are likely to die quickly anyways, so it is still a suicide rush that does nothing beneficial to your KD.

Also, is your lighting making the dark areas the same color as the regular concrete? For some reason, that is making the Barracks look awkward to me.

Maybe it's the textures, because the seams make the concrete look like metal plates on the roof and tower, and the side walls needs to be a dark grey. But these are very simple fixes I think TheBeerinator can do now or the release after this one.

And danpaul88, if you want to kill bots faster, lead up from the body and aim for the head. :D

Guest BaneOfSorrows

The Allied Barracks weakpoint is a stack of ammo crates which go BOOM when destroyed, but other buildings might have weakpoints which don't go boom but still destroy the building...

This brings up a question I've been very curious about. When a building is destroyed in AR, will we actually get to see the building explode RA2 style, or at least leave a dilapidated husk of the former building? Or will it resemble APB in that "building r dead cuz smoke r come out of it"? One of my major pet peeves in APB is the fact that "destroyed" buildings don't look very...destroyed. In fact, they look like they're in perfect working condition save the large smoke plume coming out of the building for no apparent reason. If it's in any way possible, it would add a massive amount of depth to the gameplay that in my opinion would be well worth the trouble.

[/rant]

Guest tfkillzone

woot woot for baneofsorrows sharing a peeve with me!!!

actuallly i was just thinking about this and thought it would be really awesome if underground building interiors had like piles of dirt that would collapse into them that would make it harder to get in and out, though there would be no reason to get in :D ........unless there was maybe some "capture the thingy" game mode and the thingy was in a destroyed building or something.....

Guest Michael_sama

I wonder if the APB team is already working on making buildings looked destroyed when they are. If so, then your answer may already be solved.

I'm not so picky, so I was blown away at watching the video of going inside the building. In RTS you see things form the outside, and this is the creation of what it might look like inside. I am impressed. The designs are more complex in Apoc Rising than the current APB beta. There's lots of twist and turns, so it will be harder to defend the base from an intruder. Then again the enemy may get lost too.

Edited by Michael_sama

Guest Stormweaver

They're making them look wreaked, but not destroyed. It's a case of they'd have to make 2 full models for that to happen, and to be honest AR's taking enough time to make as it is.

Guest lawmakerex

Really great work people, i never knew that the barracks would be so huge, i can't imagine how big the weapons factory, battle labs and superweapons will be. Also will the bots remain in the weak point area when the whole thing is done? Its a good idea to leave them there for defence, if not automated defences are really needed in those areas.

• 2 months later...
Guest NODnuke45

lol COMRADE, WHATS OUR GOVERNTMENT ISSUE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT THE DAMAGE LEVEL IF WE SHOOT THE MAJOR WEAKPOINT IN THE BARRACKS... comrade: uhhhh ITS OVER NINE THOUUUUSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND