Blog 153 (07/10/09)

Welcome to this week's blog guys. Let's get this ball rolling.

<h3>Soviet Refinery Walkthrough</h3>

dtrngd has completed the interior for the Soviet Refinery and has gotten it ingame to walk around in. This evening I took the map and made a quick walkthrough video for you guys. You may notice that the Refinery has no minor weakpoint. This is because the War Miner affects credit income when the enemy faction destroys it. So the Miner is the minor weakpoint if you like. However, it's not linked to the refinery's health in any way.

Also, the no elevator policy we are running seems to be paying off. :)

Take a look at the video on youtube below.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Also, download it from here if you want a better quality video.

<h3>We had a Conflab</h3>

Well, we had a conference on Saturday which was pretty cool. We got just about everyone to turn up and we

reminisced about the times of old. Better is the fact that The_Merovingian (or Zion as he's known now) has decided to come back and help AR! :) Give him a warm re-welcome.

We didn't discuss anything of real relevance to be honest, most of it was just random stuff. We did discuss having new first person arms though. There will be a few more arm types than those featured in APB. this is because units like the conscript and Tesla Trooper have massive gloves which will need modelling out. We'll get them working soon enough though.

<h3>Tesla Coil Fixed</h3>

dtrngd wasn't happy with the Tesla Coil, so he took it and made it as close to RA2's as he could possibly get. I think he succeeded; take a look below.

tesla_coil_fixed.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I have a headset again now, so I can talk to people on skype and teamspeak again!

cfehunter actually paid for megavideo.

dtrngd has been working lots.

danpaul88 has been wanting the Barracks for the next test build.

Chevy has been conflabbing with us.

TheBeerinator is working on Soviet Purchase Terminals.

Tankmaster is working on some features for the installer.

Poggel has been working on a Tokarev pistol!

Eggman891 is going to meet Merovingian with a contract for him to sign his life away once again.

The rest of the team has been doing stuff.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

<h4>3d Model Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in either a 2d or 3d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures or 3d models in 3d Studio Max/Maya.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures or models, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Crab Battle?

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Duck!</h3>

Where?

:D

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Yay, the Refinery! How do you plan to decorate the inside like? I'd imagine it would be very dark, with the orange glow of molten ore, like you would get off the image of Soviet steel factories. Is it possible to do that, since I have a feeling you can't change lighting into being darker?

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Win blog is win. The refinery looks astounding, and that tesla coil couldn't possibly get any closer to RA2's. Also, the refinery video wins bonus points for Rammstein.

Guest HYBRID BEING

Warning, blog contains win! It always does. :D

The refinery walkthrough sparks my curiosity:

1) Is resource escalator accessible by infantry?

2) Stair rails on the first floor, mb?

3) Barrels... >:) You know what my question is, do you?)

Yeah, and the TC is great, can't wait using Pepakura Designer on it X)

Before - after.

Edited by HYBRID BEING

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

cfehunter actually payed for megavideo.

"paid"

And I'm not the British person here. :)

3) Barrels... >:D You know what my question is, do you?)

I'm guessing exploding barrels? In which case, probably not. The game engine doesn't really like exploding barrels.

Guest Allie29

The game engine doesn't really like exploding barrels.

Wait... what? Really? I mean they had them (very crude mind you) in Renegade missions, so I assumed you would be able to improve on that and make them halfway decent.

Guest Xiphias6

Considering the barrels are somewhat part of the building model itself...if it was like a vehicle (demo) it might be a hassle to place them on each and every map and their locations would vary a lot (Human error).

Warning, blog contains win! It always does. :D

The refinery walkthrough sparks my curiosity:

1) Is resource escalator accessible by infantry?

2) Stair rails on the first floor, mb?

3) Barrels... >:) You know what my question is, do you?)

Yeah, and the TC is great, can't wait using Pepakura Designer on it X)

Before - after.

1. Currently, yes.

Will it be accessible in the release version? I doubt it.

2. Soviets have no time for stair rails, they need the raw materials to make more things! Remember, if a conscript falls down the stairs and dies, there are 100 more standing there to replace him.

3. Explosive barrels may or may not feature in multiplayer maps, since they are a singleplayer thing. If we do decide to put a few in, they definitely won't be around the bases because they cause too much damage.

Wait... what? Really? I mean they had them (very crude mind you) in Renegade missions, so I assumed you would be able to improve on that and make them halfway decent.

What rm meant was; exploding barrels in the context of C&C were used as a device in singleplayer to make it easier for the player. You didn't really see these barrels in multiplayer, thus they would negatively affect the gameplay if we were to add them in close proximity to base structures. They are totally possible, just not very clever in some circumstances.

3. Explosive barrels may or may not feature in multiplayer maps, since they are a singleplayer thing. If we do decide to put a few in, they definitely won't be around the bases because they cause too much damage.

What rm meant was; exploding barrels in the context of C&C were used as a device in singleplayer to make it easier for the player. You didn't really see these barrels in multiplayer, thus they would negatively affect the gameplay if we were to add them in close proximity to base structures. They are totally possible, just not very clever in some circumstances.

It would be something like this:

"You forgot to blow up the barrels before the allied tank rush!!"

*Allied Grizzly tank destroys barrel*

"Wrench it before it's to late!"

*Allied Grizzly tank destroys Soviet Ore Refinery*

"Failwrench! /ragequit"

"Hey commander, we have a large shipment of very explosive oil barrels; where should we put them?"

"Right next to the defenses and important buildings, of course!"

*Barrels explode, taking half the base with them*

"I didn't see that coming!"