Blog 155 (23/10/09)

Hey guys. Apologies for the late blog again. I shan't make excuses so lets head into it.

<h3>Stinger</h3>

Guy with a wrench has modelled up the Guardian G.I's Stinger Missile Launcher ready for unwrapping. We decided to scrap the old AT4 (that didn't actually work ingame in the first place) in favour of the Stinger. Not only is it Solid Snake's Missile Launcher of choice, but it is also pretty adept at taking out ground and air targets; something the Guardian G.I needs to be able to do. Also, it's a small nod to the past version of APB which contained the Stinger for the Rocket Soldier.

Anyway, take a look at the model below!

stinger-1.jpg

Edit: We have since decided that the Guardian GI will go back to using the AT4/SMAW. Since upon closer look of the unit cameo, he appears to be holding an AT4/SMAW. The Stinger will be used as an extra weapon elsewhere.

<h3>Tokarev TT</h3>

Poggel has been modelling the Soviet's Tokarev TT pistol. This will be issued to all Soviet engineers and technicians. We aren't sure on how we want this pistol to work yet (in comparison to the Allied Beretta), but I'll record a video of it in action when we do.

Take a look at these pretty pictures!

tok-1.pngtok2-1.png

tok3-1.png

<h3>Just About Finished Revolver</h3>

Guy with a wrench has now completed the Revolver texture now. I shan't say any more so look at the pictures!

rex-1.jpgrex2-1.jpg

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm heading off to London this weekend for the MCM Expo. I'm going dressed as a Nod Soldier, so if you see me, say hi! (I'll post pics when I get back).

cfehunter is doing good and is selling computer hardware to people I know.

dtrngd is now a talk show host with his own interview powers.

danpaul88 is sorting out 4.0's compatibility with AR.

Eggman891 is inviting Merovingian/Zion round to visit so we'll catch up for a drink in the week.

TheBeerinator has been helping Guy with a wrench with his texturing.

Mammutpanzer is now a V.I.P

The rest of the team should be gearing up for a conflab.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>Testers!</h4>

That's right! We are now looking for testers again!

If you are interested in testing unreleased versions of Apocalypse Rising and A Path Beyond for balance, bugs and other issues, send a private message to Chronojam with the following information. You don't need to be overly fancy. We need people with crappy systems, good systems, great aim, and crappy aim, so don't let the questions discourage you. Make the subject line something about BHP Testing please, so it's easy to find. If you have tested before or volunteered but were not chosen, you can certainly re-apply at this time.

• In-game Username
  • Time Availability
    -Timezone & usual hours
    -Days you can help
  • Hardware
    -Video card
    -RAM
    -Resolution
  • Describe your skill at APB
    -What versions you've played
  • Reason you want to test

Deadpikle is the lead tester, so he'll be organising the successful applicants and will make sure you guys know what you're doing. There is no limits or anything on who can apply; so if you are interested, get in touch! :D

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

<h4>3d Model Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in either a 2d or 3d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures or 3d models in 3d Studio Max/Maya.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures or models, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

BRAWNDO THE THIRST MUTILATOR!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Apocalypse Rising</h3>

It's like melting RA2 and Renegade together and then pouring it all over your face.

Guest killboy06

Apocalypse Rising

It's like melting RA2 and Renegade together and then pouring it all over your face.

I approve. :v

Good blarg I like the weps so far.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Wow, Ivan's revolver looks sexy. In honesty, I think you did a wonderful job on it.

Also, I kinda find your choice of the Stinger for the Guardian GI as rather weird. Is he going to have an extended anti-air advantage over the flak trooper at the cost of less anti-ground capabilities? I always imagined him using a modified version of the FGM-148 Javelin that allowed for anti-air missiles, since Westwood (and EA) seemed to like the Javelin a lot for the "blue's" rocket launcher of choice, and the fact its a stationary weapon makes it perfect for a metal foxhole.

Also, you already had Brawndo as your random corner. :Dhttp://www.bluehellproductions.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20024

Guest psych787

The rocket launcher model looks awesome. Perhaps making it a little shorter and wider will leave it more convincing as an anti-tank weapon.

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Also, you already had Brawndo as your random corner. :Dhttp://www.bluehellproductions.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20024

Besides that, it makes me sick just how much "Brawndo" completely ripped off both Powerthirst

and
. Powerthirst is legit, and Brawndo just wishes it could ever come close to being half as awesome as Powerthirst.

Oh yeah, and nice blog. :)

Guest MartinMb

Ivan's Revolver is sexy ! :D

Then we will be blinded by the awesomeness.

Guest EVA-251

Stinger

Disappointing you cut the AT4 but the Stinger looks great nonetheless.

Not to nitpick, but the Stinger isn't an anti-tank weapon (and there is. In CNC terms, Stinger would be Warhead=HE, not Warhead=AP. But hey, nobody is saying you can't invent an anti-tank munition for the launcher. :p

I like the looks of Tokarev, just don't make it perform like the Makarov, Airsoft Guns have no place in war!

Oh, and the Revolver. Fucking awesome job, Guy with a Wrench.

Edited by EVA-251

Guest TomatoSlayer

Besides that, it makes me sick just how much "Brawndo" completely ripped off both Powerthirst

and
. Powerthirst is legit, and Brawndo just wishes it could ever come close to being half as awesome as Powerthirst.

Those sketches, including the Brawndo one, were done by the same guy. 'Course it's going to be similar!

And last I checked, Power Thirst wasn't in a feature-length movie nor did it actually become a drink and :D it was boasting it has what plants crave over a year before Power Thirst

. Compare the movie's release date to the YouTube submission date. :)

Sorry for pushing this so far off topic, but someone was WRONG on the INTERNET! :)

--------------------------------------

I'm loving the revolver, here. It looks pretty darn good.

Oh, and those applying for testing positions, be prepared to work hard and often. We need all the effort from our testers that we can get at this point!

Guest HYBRID BEING

Cool blog.

That Stinger is sure big. Hope it would take not less than quarter of screen, so it would be easier to ambush Guardians from the right side. Nah, j/k. :)

Tokarev's trigger bugs me, i think it should be closer to the barrel. Like this.

The revolver is great. Nuff said.

And OWA, please stop making temporary blogs, it screws the subscribing system and i'm not receiving email when blog is actually out. :D

Edited by HYBRID BEING

And OWA, please stop making temporary blogs, it screws the subscribing system and i'm not receiving email when blog is actually out. :)

It's not a temporary blog, its the real blog but set to invisible so he can edit and proof it before releasing it. Set this forum section as your homepage and you will soon spot the new ones :D

Guest HYBRID BEING

homepage

That's not the solution:

1) My homepage is my mail plugin, lol. It always opens on firefox startup. And i think it's very convinient (look below);

2) And well, i have many things to do (not that strange with ~130 tabs opened :D) Email notifications really help me to keep up with things, i prefer most (like AR and APB).

Edited by HYBRID BEING

Guest HYBRID BEING

It's not the maximum number. I'm trying to save some for Photoshop (and other bulky soft). :)

As for homepage, i was trying to say that i use the "Last opened tabs", and the mail always takes focus on startup. Oh shi-, offtopic. :D

My point was that i'd prefer to get notification, read blog, say "Wow, blargh is awesome!", and then return to the stuff i was doing before. Kinda boring refreshing page every 5 minutes, and i end up forgetting about new blog.

Edited by HYBRID BEING

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I'm surprised we haven't talked about it yet, but what made you decide on choosing the Stinger over other rocket launchers?

Not doing the AT4 makes sense, since it's basically a modern verson of the light damage, one-shot-then-throw-away LAW, and it also makes sense to give the Guardian GI anti-air capabilities, but the Stinger would do squat against the big Soviet tanks, and the fact he is stationary and can deploy a metal foxhole from thin air, wouldn't a heavier, tripoded rocket launcher make sense?

Guest baldy999

I agree with AdrwIvrsn, a tripod style makes a bit more sense, something about the stinger doing anti tank just dosent make sense, maybe something like the BF2 Stationary TOW's?

Edited by baldy999

Guest Lt Albrecht

cameo shows AT4, rulesmd.ini gives no clues (just [missilelauncher] IIRC or something similarly vague) all we know is it homes and he holds it unsupported in the air and it owns tanks and flying things... I'd be inclined to go for something like the Javelin, as it fits the missile's petuliat upwards then forwards flight profile (whereas the launcher isn't pointed at a high angle which explains it for most other units...). Nice stinger though, shame to waste it.

Edited by Lt Albrecht

I'm surprised we haven't talked about it yet, but what made you decide on choosing the Stinger over other rocket launchers?

We have decided right after the blog that the AT4 will be used for the GGI still :p

Also, get on irc sometime (irc.n00bstories.com #apathbeyond or irc.mp-gaming.com #mp-apb) sir, because I or Deadpikle have to interview you! :p

Same for everyone who reads this, tester applicants!!

(you can reject to be interviewed tho)

Guest Michael_sama

I wonder how powerful the stinger missiles will be. Since a guardian GI can create a protective barrier, it could be a problem to totally overpower a group of flying units with a single unit. Though I'm getting quite ahead since it's at the model stage right now. It's not like Red Alert 2 style much, but it's cool nevertheless. Solid Snake for the win!

Guest Allie29

If ya'll ain't using it for the GGI, you might want to update it accordingly. Personally I'm glad it's not 'cause it would feel weird to me, knowing it was an AA weapon (not to mention the transition from APB to AR, with redeye doing nothing to a stinger owning tanks.)

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Just wondering, with the GI and his Minimi and the GGI with the AT4, were you guys (or just OWA) planning on having their secondary weapons be super light and light damage types? I understood the Minimi, because you took the weapon type "para" from the rules.ini, but the fact that both the Minimi and AT4, technically, would actually belong to a regular GI standing up kinda made me wonder if those choices being light weapons was intended, or would you go for heavier stationary weapons if you wanted to?

For example, the Minimi (also known as the M249 SAW) is handled like the Capitan does with his M60 in APB. It is designed to be used like any other rifle*, except that it is preferred that the user stay in a prone position for accuracy. The AT4, like its RPG predecessor, the LAW, is carried by regular soldiers just in case they come across a light armored vehicle. They guy with it shoots, throws it away, and his squad runs the hell out of there. They usually cannot deal enough damage to tanks, and obviously cannot even touch aircraft.

Thus, I imagined the GI with either an M2 ".50 cal," which might be too big and look more overpowered than it really is, or an M240, which would probably be the better choice. Both are stationary machine guns that having the GI pull out of thin air would match the humor of him also being able to do that with his sandbags.

The GGI then would probably have the Javelin. Once again, its stationary but portable nature makes it perfect for a foxhole, and you would have a better time being able to convince people it has anti-air capabilities than you can convincing them a Stinger can penetrate an Apocalypse Tank's armor.

*Edit: I'm just saying this to give a general picture. Its usage is much more complicated than that, but to most people this is what it will look like to them when they see a squad with a member holding a SAW. Same goes with images with squad members of other armies with a PK machine gun.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn