Blog 156 (29/10/09)

<h3>Grizzly Tank Nearing Completion</h3>

We all decided that my work load was looking ridiculous, so I passed the Grizzly Tank over to dtrngd for completion.

If you guys have any suggestions for improvement, please state it because the model shall be going into unwrapping very soon and it probably won't ever be touched upon again.

Take a look at the Allied Main Battle Tank below!

grizzly_finalising2-1.pnggrizzly_finalising3-1.png

grizzly_finalising4-1.png

<h3>Revolver Ingame</h3>

Albeit a placeholder, TruYuri has rigged up Ivan's Revolver for use ingame. This means that in the next test version of AR, you can expect Crazy Ivan to make his first appearance!

Take a look at these screenshots, taken from APB, below.

RevolverIngame-1.pngRevolverIngame2-1.png

Ninjaedit: moddb video of it

<h3>G.I's MP5-K</h3>

Guy with a wrench has nearly completed the model for the G.I's main weapon, the MP5-K. This will feature burst fire and semi automatic firing modes in conjunction with a limited range. When the G.I deploys he shall obviously bring out the big guns, but for on-the-move engagement expect to see a lot of this weapon.

Below is the sole render of this beast.

MP5-K-1.jpg

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been doing various things this week. At the weekend I was at the London MCM Expo at the Excel Centre which was awesome! Loads of great costumes and free hugs! I went dressed as a Nod Militant and below are some images of my costume.

DSC03888-1.jpgDSC03944-1.jpg

cfehunter has been around. I saw him today and yesterday and he seems to be the same as usual. I'm trying to coax him back to work on AR.

dtrngd has been working on lots of things at once.

danpaul88 has been poking people along with TheBeerinator, since things aren't getting done as fast as we'd like them to.

rm5248 has been working on his bridges.

Poggel has been finishing off the Tokarev.

Eggman891 and Zion have been hanging around with me and many lols have been had. Many jokes have been made in reference to Zion's 3d Space Navigator (which is a nice piece of tech).

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in a 2d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures, if you have any.

(By the way, thanks to everyone who applied to be a tester, we are sorting through the applications now!)

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger: The Lipdub.

<center><object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=173714&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=173714&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="

Dub - Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/amandalynferri">amandalynferri</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p></center>

<h3>Buzzzap</h3>

The APB Human Sound Mod will make a return shortly...

Guest Deadpikle

FIRST POST!

I mean uhhhhh...great blog! :D No really, I love the rhino taco grizzly tank. Its awesome and I hope the antenna is animated somehow.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

mod edit: hey you no first post posts

Guest Zion Fox

Oh hai dur.

Meeting Ben was awesome. :3

Many lols of Ben and Eggman touching my smooth hard knob, trying to persuade them to get some so i can play with theirs too. :3

Guest AdrwIvrsn

FIRST POST!

I mean uhhhhh...great blog! :) No really, I love the rhino taco grizzly tank. Its awesome and I hope the antenna is animated somehow.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

mod edit: hey you no first post posts

That's not even a real warn banner. :D

I'll post some suggestions on the Grizzly tomorrow. But one thing I can say is you could either remove the meshsmooth or limit it, or just steepen the front plates of the turret a little more.

Guest BaneOfSorrows

MP5 is love, but it should be an MP5 RAS for greater justice.

Something about the grizzly tank turret feels a little...off. I think it might be the back of the turret. It looks a bit too narrow, methinks. I don't think it should taper off in the back, it seems more like it should reach one width and stay that way. It almost looks like it does in the upper left picture, but then you can see how it tapers off in the bottom picture. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Edited by BaneOfSorrows

Guest Allie29

The Grizzly looks odd, yet the tank itself is an odd little thing. It looks awesome. As does the revolver, the MP5, the... oh heck, it all obviously looks awesome.

The grizzly looks awesome, but I should mention that the front of the main Chassis looks a little plain and smooth (Right under the barrel).

Granted, I doubt people will be paying attention to it when they're staring down the barrel of a tank, but you might want to add some sort of visible armor plating, or something. Just so there isn't a smooth featureless piece there.

Guest Ascendancy

Grizzly Tank looks awesome.

Cool to see Ivan's revolver in game. Can't wait to fire off a few rounds with that :D

And the MP5-K, well, I love that gun.

The grizzly looks awesome, but I should mention that the front of the main Chassis looks a little plain and smooth (Right under the barrel).

Granted, I doubt people will be paying attention to it when they're staring down the barrel of a tank, but you might want to add some sort of visible armor plating, or something. Just so there isn't a smooth featureless piece there.

Most tanks are rather featureless at the front, you generally don't have things mounted on top of the tank chassis as they have a tendancy to get shot at...

tank-1.jpg

See, mostly featureless at the front. Definition of armour plating will be added in the texture.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

The Glacis plate, which is what that part of the armor is called, on most American and NATO tanks are usually smooth and featureless, except for the driver's hatch and viewports. Soviet tanks, especially the T series, have theirs look more "featureful" because it has more hooks, bolts, plating, and usually is covered in reactive armor blocks, so that might be more of a direction for the Rhino.

Anyways, some of my other advice for it:

The driver's viewport HIGHLY reminds me of the T series because there is only one side and it is sunken into the Glacis plate instead of being a hatch. Most tanks I know use a half-hexigon shape:

DriverVeiwport1.jpg

However, the infamous T series usually (but not all) used just one, which might be more fitting for the Rhino:

DriverVeiwport2.jpg

Also, every time I've looked at the voxel, with the voxel viewer or while playing RA2, I've always noticed this in the back, highlighted in red:

GrizzlyTankinanAWESOMEMSPaintjob.jpg

You could probably add those slopes too.

Guest EVA-251

MP5 for the GIs now? Did I miss something, or is the SEAL getting something new?

The renders are all amazing and I feel the Grizzly was greatly improved from the last version, which was all too rounded, but I noticed one issue.

The inward facing track skirts need to brought up higher, else the vehicle might have issues confronting sloped terrain.

Guest ivan55599

nice grizzzly

hmm l should post my nod militant rocketman (self-made) costume

lol @ vid download time: 30 mins :D

@video:

hmm only 6 bullets? why not 7

black tesla troober in darkess+black hand FTW

:) flak trooper

Guest BaneOfSorrows

MP5 for the GIs now? Did I miss something, or is the SEAL getting something new?

Now that you mention it, that's a very good point. MP5s are standard issue for Navy SEALs, so the GI should have something else. Now that I think about it, I would expect the GI's in AR to have M16s and the rifle soldiers in APB to have M1 Garands, but meh. Maybe give the GI a different kind of SMG?

Guest AdrwIvrsn

This is the MP5 K its a hell of a lot different from the MP5 Naval issue to the seals.

Right, in the way that their users are switched, because the MP5 K is used by elite special forces in rare cases. :D

But I think only the GGI should have a rifle (perhaps the M4?), and the GI have a submachine gun like their Soviet conscript counterparts. I'm fine with the MP5 K, since your first thoughts of giving him an MP7 would have been even more ironic, because the MP7's 4.6x30mm round can penetrate body armor while the SEAL's MP5's 9x19mm can't, and the fact that it was shown in a Westwood concept art.

Guest Stormweaver

The lipdub was amazing untill the focus of the video was split. Havn't heard that in ages though, awesome.

Tanks look good. no time to make awesome comment on blog....damnit.

Good blog!!!

Guest EVA-251

This is the MP5 K its a hell of a lot different from the MP5 Naval issue to the seals.

Wikipedia appears to strongly contradict you, and the difference that does exist sure wouldn't explain how it takes half a magazine worth of bodyshots to kill with the GI's MP5 awhile the SEALs MP5 does it in a third as many shots. (example figures)

(and saying "different types of rounds" is simply a cop-out)

Edited by EVA-251

Guest TruYuri

Now that I think about it, I would expect the GI's in AR to have M16s and the rifle soldiers in APB to have M1 Garands, but meh.

Generally for this we use the arguement that the alternate timeline makes technology advance faster than regular time, and looking at shit like the Chronosphere it's hard to disagree, so it's okay that APB soldiers have M16s and it doesn't correspond with the M16's actual dating. :D

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Generally for this we use the arguement that the alternate timeline makes technology advance faster than regular time, and looking at shit like the Chronosphere it's hard to disagree, so it's okay that APB soldiers have M16s and it doesn't correspond with the M16's actual dating. :D

Actually, I have a feeling Red Alert 1 was going to take place in the 1980s until they decided to include people like Stalin, Einstein, and Hitler-who-disappeared to make the story feel more like the peak of the Cold War and to make it interesting, and thus said it was in an alternate 1950s.

The only basis of the idea of the M1 Garand is because it is listed in the rules.ini as the rifle soldier's main weapon, rather than the M-16 and AK-47 that the other 99% of the game portrayed. It kinda goes along with my huge obsession with accuracy on military technology. I sometime rage with some of the details Westwood put in, since obviously they are not military experts. That's why I also raged in the previous blog with the Para. :x

Guest Allie29

They didn't intend to be experts, nor to claim it. It's fiction. There are guns shooting electricity at you, and a cyborg blasting your tank with an arm cannon. If you want to rage about military stuff in games, rage over Generals. It attempted to be true but failed horribly.

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Wikipedia appears to strongly contradict you, and the difference that does exist sure wouldn't explain how it takes half a magazine worth of bodyshots to kill with the GI's MP5 awhile the SEALs MP5 does it in a third as many shots. (example figures)

(and saying "different types of rounds" is simply a cop-out)

Yeah, the SEALs are trained to use a two shot burst to the chest, and if they're still alive after that, one shot to the head.

Guest ganein14

Nice nod militant outfit OWA, now all you need is about five or six hundred more of you and you can start the BoN though back on topic...I think the MP5 should go to the GI, and the MP7 to the SEAL.

Nice nod militant outfit OWA, now all you need is about five or six hundred more of you and you can start the BoN though back on topic...I think the MP5 should go to the GI, and the MP7 to the SEAL.

Most likely we won't change the Navy SEAL's MP5 for the first release, since it is already modelled and textured. And it's badass :D

For the sake of faster release.