AR :: Halloween Update :: October 31, 2012

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=22537

Intro

Welcome to the Halloween update! (Although there's nothing really scary or Halloween-related about it).

We've been hard at work on AR this month, getting lots of new art assets ready to get in-game and forging ahead with the project as best we can. Our new team members have fitted right in so far and we're all having fun making this game into something that you guys will really enjoy playing when the time comes.

• OWA has been working on finding a job and may have something exciting coming up.
  • dtrngd release Beta 2 to the testers and it's going down really well! (New tester signups will be happening after we have a staff meeting with the other BHP teams).
  • ChAoS has been rigging weapons (with a little help from Eggman891) for first and third person views. These look great so far, but more on those next month.
  • Byamarro has been working on a few different things; textures, odd bits of artwork and a video with FelipeCZ.
  • Bogdan has done some more work on destroying civilian structures. Check out the new bridges further down!
  • Dawnblaze is modelling lots of nice structures and weapons. (His latest project is rather Grand).
  • Teamwolf managed to get Isle of War ready for Beta 2, so we have a new map to play with now!
  • Catalyst is a pony and he knows it.

That's just about all of the team news for now, let's get to the meaty bits of news!

New Staff

Another comrade has joined our cause to bring this game to the fans faster: let's give a warm welcome to Romanov!

He is here to create nice models and slap some great paintwork onto them as well, which means he is a 3D/2D artist! :)

New G.I.

Romanov jumped into work right away and with a few design instructions and help from One Winged Angel, he has produced us a new GI.

Those of you may have seen the other model by Fango two years ago, but unfortunately he has gotten busy and we never got the chance to get the model. Nevertheless, the new model is here, and is going to be textured fairly soon.

gi06_render.jpg

Updated AR Intro

Byamarro and FelipeCZ has been working together to create a new game logo intro for us. It's still not complete, but here's a preview of it:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="

http://www.youtube.com/embed/P2WtbwyHVKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Portable Flak Cannon

Dawnblaze has produced a fresh new Portable Flak Cannon model for the Soviet Flak Trooper. It's the portable version of the regular Soviet Flak Cannon defense, nigthmare of all those Harriers, Nighthawks, Rocketeers and anything else that is an airborne threat to the Motherland!

pfc.png

A Bridge Too Near (The Road)

Now that our first urban type map, Isle of War is getting into the beta test builds, we were in need of the bridges and roads from Red Alert 2; but with better art than we had before.

First, Ric has created the roads:

road.jpg

They are very easy to place next to each other and match perfectly, so mappers will have some fun putting these around their cities. Just like those Lego road tiles you can get. :)

Second, BogdanV is currently working on the bridges and their destroyed variants.

Here's a glance of what they will look like after shooting them to "death":

3rds_the_charm.jpg

Note that this is still a WIP image of the bridges, the models and textures aren't 100% complete yet.

Random RA2 Corner

What if Yuri's army was part of the RA2 Allied and Soviet storylines?

What if the Allied forces were to run into Yuri's psychic defenses when rushing the Kremlin in the final mission?

The answer is below!

Red_Alert_Command_and_Conquer_Yuris_Revenge_1.jpg

Also, some Nintendo themed videos this time!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/sAzzbrFgcUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="

http://www.youtube.com/embed/sAtWQ_xn0kI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

End

Thanks for reading this update! There had to be something Halloween related in all of this, so here is the Monster Mash. :shobon:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/AxcM3nCsglA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Guest APB_ICE

Awesome update! :D

That Portable Flak Cannon looks sweet, although I'd suggest making the top-handle slightly taller and thinner; It doesn't look like you'd be able to get a hand around it. Other than that, the model looks awesome. :)

Guest SirJustin

Top notch! Those bridges and roads are fantastic! :D

One question: When are you guys planning to hire more testers?

"

dtrngd release Beta 2 to the testers and it's going down really well! (New tester signups will be happening after we have a staff meeting with the other BHP teams).

"

So hopefully such a staff meeting will be soon enough. :downs:

P.S. Can't wait to test and contribute.

Edited by SirJustin

OHH YES YES YES YES YES!!! Isle of War is in just in time for the next tester sign up, which is soon? FRICKIN YES!! Isle of War is my favorite map, and one of only four from the original game that I really want to see (others being Wild Animal Park, DC Uprising, and Paris Revisited) in AR.

And that portable Flak Cannon? Very very beautiful. I expect it to work much like the RPG from APB but with damage, speed, and animations equivalent to RA2. Am I right?

And that portable Flak Cannon? Very very beautiful. I expect it to work much like the RPG from APB but with damage, speed, and animations equivalent to RA2. Am I right?

The Flak Cannon works like none of the weapons in APB. It's a bit of a beast.

I am intrigued to see what it does.

I am intrigued to see what it does.

It shoots *_*

Awesome job guys, keep it up :D

I have some bonus shots and videos from recent tests, anyone interested? Should I upload?

There's a couple of things I have to do before we can release screenshots of the new Beta. I'll let you know when I'm done.

Guest APB_ICE

I have some bonus shots and videos from recent tests, anyone interested? Should I upload?

There's a couple of things I have to do before we can release screenshots of the new Beta. I'll let you know when I'm done.

But we wanna see them nowww! :'(

:v:

Edited by APB_ICE

Guest SirJustin

Very much so, anything is great.. even damage change logs.. any logs are great.

Anybody else think the intro movie is bit too much? (Yay, have been posting here for years and the first post I'm doing is so constructive xD)

To make it up - The game looks amazing, I love the fact that you appear to be trying to make mapping for future mappers easier with the roads, can't wait till this gets out :) Shame it's taking so long, but at least it's STILL going.

But we wanna see them nowww! :'(

:v:

I would definitly post Pictures and probably make a short video, but sadly I might not be allowed to do so.