Heya everyone!

Sorry for the lack of correspondence recently; we've been pretty busy, but not with AR.

This update covers March, but it's been posted in April, so we can't really call it the March update. :(

Since things have taken off with Reborn, we've switched production over so that we can essentially turbo-release Reborn and get something out this year. This has left AR with not much progress lately. It's not dead, but we're just not working on it currently because Reborn is more important and closer to release.

Here's what the team have been doing recently:

OWA has been working on Reborn
dtrngd has been working on Reborn
danpaul88 has been working on Reborn
ChAoS has been rigging weapons for AR!
Romanov has been modelling weapons for AR.
The rest of the team have been working on other things in the background.

New Infantry

We decided that it was time to kick out the renegade infantry for good because AR needs a release sometime this year (hopefully after Reborn is out). So we've borrowed some infantry models from C&C Reborn, so that we can release something that doesn't have any bits of Renegade in it anymore.

We'll be releasing AR with these new models (after Reborn) if OWA doesn't come up with something soon, since AR has been dormant for too long and we want you guys to play it. We've chosen appropriate replacements for each unit in the game, so check them out below!

post-8054-0-72222300-1364860749_thumb.pngpost-8054-0-02338600-1364860697_thumb.png

first up we have the GDI Soldier replacement for the G.I. The name G.I. is kind of nearly GDI, so we figured this GDI unit would be the best replacement. He even comes with sandbags! The second replacement is the Cyborg for the Soviet Conscript. We figured that the Conscripts are kind of like robots and both Cyborg and Conscript start with the letter C so it'd be the best choice!

post-8054-0-61600300-1364860658_thumb.pngpost-8054-0-96775000-1364861623_thumb.png
The next replacement is the Mutant Hijacker for Crazy Ivan. We figured that the Hijacker is pretty crazy himself, listening to that hip hop music all the time, so he'd be a perfect Crazy Ivan. We also figured that the Flame Trooper would be a good replacement for the Tesla Trooper because they both have dome shaped heads (plus the Flamer model isn't being used by Reborn anymore). In this screenshot you can see him getting a +5 reading bonus at the bookcase (another new game mechanic we'll discuss at a later time).

post-8054-0-41444000-1364861572_thumb.png
The final image is again of the Cyborg Conscript looking at a new unit that'll be making it's way into the AR release candidate. It's not Radar tech, but because it's OWA's favourite unit we decided that the Siege Chopper should be in the first release (Allies are getting the Battle Fortress to counter this).

New Forum Skin

This has been a while coming, but OWA is proud to announce that the new APB-themed forum skin is nearly ready for the public. there's just a few colour changes to make with certain obscure menus, but after that it should be ready to rock and roll!

Not much more to say on this, so here's a nice preview of what to expect.

post-8054-0-64508100-1364861630_thumb.png

Random Corner

Since there's not really much else going on at the moment, let's head straight into the random corner for some funny videos.

Bad lip reading at the NFL

Hentry the Hoover Challenge Game!

Chi-Ha is Tierless!

Finish

Sorry for not having that much this time guys, but hopefully we should have more for you when we make our next update in 6 months time. See you all then!

Guest SiminaI

Light G.I,Cyborg Conscript,Crazy hijacker,flame-tesla Trooper,Jumpjet rocketeer :wtf:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: That's a Tiberian alert2 :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Edited by Siminai

Guest MartinMb

Can we expect a Soviet-Nod Alliance vs an Allied-GDI Force ? Renegade infantry sucks, good thing you replaced it by Reborn assets.

Guest APB_ICE

I'm sure it's just an April Fool's joke, but in case it's not, why not simply use APB Rifle Infantry for the G.I./Conscript, since they'd fit a lot better?

And honestly, the Soviet Sniper with an AK-47 would be a perfect placeholder for Boris later on. :wink:

Edited by APB_ICE

Guest Sonarpulse

I actually wish this was true. 1.0 doesn't need to be Done.0

them barns models

I couldn't stop chuckling :v:

Edited by Sonarpulse

I'm sure it's just an April Fool's joke, but in case it's not, why not simply use APB Rifle Infantry for the G.I./Conscript, since they'd fit a lot better?

And honestly, the Soviet Sniper with an AK-47 would be a perfect placeholder for Boris later on. :wink:

The Sniper doesn't have a beard so if we need a placeholder, we'll use Mendoza.

Guest APB_ICE

The Sniper doesn't have a beard so if we need a placeholder, we'll use Mendoza.

... Really? :what:

The Sniper is a far better placeholder since he has more similarities to Boris:

Mendoza:

- Beard

APB Soviet Sniper:

- Ushanka

- Uniform style/colours

- Isn't covered in Nod logos

Also, the Soviet Sniper model is more detailed and generally better than any Renegade model, so why not use the better model?

As for the G.I. and Conscript, it would be far more logical to use the Allied Rifle Infantry and Nod Light Infantry, respectively, since these are actually reminiscent of the infantry which they'd be representing. In a similar manner, the Allied Sergeant and Nod Rocket Infantry would be ideal placeholders for the Guardian G.I. and Flak Trooper, respectively.

And of course, APB Techies.

Edited by APB_ICE

As for the ... Conscript, it would be far more logical to use the ... Nod Light Infantry, respectively, since these are actually reminiscent of the infantry which they'd be representing.

Disagree. it'd be far more logical to texture the current placeholder.

Guest TheMojoJockey

Hell just make everything have tanya model.

Make the vehicles have a Tanya model and the infantry have the Tesla Tank model. Make everything better.

Hell just make everything have tanya model.

Make the vehicles have a Tanya model and the infantry have the Tesla Tank model. Make everything better.

Go even further and give the helicopters the Moho Mine model [HINT HINT DANPAUL]

• 3 months later...

First of all, welcome to the forums. Always nice to see a new face :downs:

But that post reminds me: how are we going to do Yuri? Short of pulling a full-on team swap on the poor sap who gets mind-controlled, I don't see what we're going to do.

Killing You, on 17 Jul 2013 - 16:26, said:

First of all, welcome to the forums. Always nice to see a new face :downs:

But that post reminds me: how are we going to do Yuri? Short of pulling a full-on team swap on the poor sap who gets mind-controlled, I don't see what we're going to do.

What we AREN'T going to do is leave the player helplessly watching the AI / another player control their character. We decided long ago that would be the most epically boring thing ever for the victim and make Yuri effectively just a trolling unit. Last time we discussed it (a long time ago) the general consensus was that "mind controlled" units would respawn the player and create a bot from their "dead" character that will follow Yuri around. But we haven't thought about it in a while and it won't be in R1 anyway.

Guest quake

other question and ultimate, add IA for combats single player? the IA is intelligen by one runs out Internet xD sorry i love RA1 2 and the proyect this is awesome xD

Guest APB_ICE

It would be really nice to have a couple of AI maps in each game for the currently-unused Practice Mode, but that's up to the mappers.

Guest Xenon560

What you could do if possible is this:

When Yuri mind controls someone, make a team announcement of the unit controlled and let anyone on the team to press a hotkey and assume control of the unit. If no one does then it is controlled by AI. The player on the enemy team is killed like danpaul mentioned.

So say im Yuri and control an Allied Grizzly Tank. There would be some team announcement saying "Xenon560 controlled a grizzly" and someone on the soviet team can press M or wtever and assume control.