C&C: Brotherhood Rising (A mod for OFP/Cold War Assault)

Revan9190

Hello my brothers and sisters of the C&C fandom! I have been working on a mod with some of the best modders of the Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis/Arma Cold War Assault community. Macser has done a good majority of the modeling you see here. Here's the main site for the mod:

https://cncbrotherhoodrising.wordpress.com/

I need to update the downloads section with the latest version, which I just .zip'd up here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4xpl3wtjrkbagv/%40CNCBR-beta3.zip?dl=0

I figured I'd share my love for C&C in my own way here. :) It's still a major work in progress, so keep that in mind. :) I also just recently added in Tiberium Vinifera and Cruentus patches. All Tiberium glows at night in-game too, so yay! Hoping to eventually script in damage to infantry over time in the future. :) I'm also hoping to get some TS stuff into the mod soon. The community has released a Titan and a Juggernaut, but I still need to find the people who made it and ask permission to edit those for my mod.

Any feedback is welcome for those who own OFP:CWC v 1.99/Cold War Assault.

For those who have the game, the install instructions are relatively simple. Just drag @CNCBR into the main game's directory. To launch the game with the mod, edit your shortcut. It would likely look like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Arma Cold War Assault\ColdWarAssault.exe" -mod=@CNCBR

For OFP it'd look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.exe" -mod=@CNCBR

Hope you all like what you see! :)

Hey there and welcome to the forums. It's always great to see a fellow C&C fan, even more so an FPS/TPS one at that around here! This gives me a reason to reinstall OFP, I'll grab the files when I get home.

Liking the work so far, having the cockpit stuff is awesome to see! What are you aiming to achieve with this project? It looks like a great start to a Tiberian Dawn mod, but you were talking of adding in TS assets. Are you planning a Tiberium universe all stars type mod instead? 

Keep it up and keep us posted!

Don't own the game so can't try the mod out, but I like the way it looks! Two things did stand out to me though: the Obelisk has too much red on it (where'd those red bars come from?), so it kinda hurts the eyes. A lot of your textures look too smooth. You've tried adding a rusted look to the Tiberium Silos, but they appear glossy and smooth on some parts. Same with the harvester--I'm torn because I like the look of fresh paint, but at the same time it looks kinda like a hot wheels toy with scratches on it. For comparison, here's a harvester mod someone did for Renegade:

Renegade_Havester_Render.jpg

Firstly, thanks for the replies everyone!

@Jeod - the models and textures are primarily made by Macser. I guess he really wanted to bake the textures like that in Blender. He said I could edit the textures and configs anyway I want, so I might just do that and add some rust/wear here and there. For now they're primarily "factory" condition. Thanks for the feedback. Also the Harvesters were originally made by a guy named Stu and it had a lot of glaring problems, so Macser remodeled them and gave them fresh textures. I might go back in and edit the textures to give it a more gritty look.

@TeamWolf - my plans were to start with Tiberian Dawn and slowly make my way to Tiberium Wars (even with this, I want to make the connection with TS and FS), and almost completely exclude C&C 4 (for obvious reasons). Then I was going to go down the Red Alert timeline a bit. Just to try and include people who love those universes. Also a lot of people like Generals, so I was planning on also doing that and Zero Hour at some point.

The only reason the Obelisk is so red and hurts the eyes is probably because I had my saturation in-game a bit too high and was using a post-processing extension for my game's application. But maybe I can edit his red on the defensive structure down a bit - I don't know. I wish I could please everybody, but in-game it already works really well and I doubt he'll go back to this mod any time soon to help with further buildings. As much as I would have loved the little slits in the front of the Obelisk like in TD, I think the LED charge up bars serve their purpose.

Here's the video. 

Edited by Einstein
merged posts

3 hours ago, NodGuy said:

Haha! Excellent video. Peace through power! My only nitpick is that the Obelisk's laser beam is too quick to disappear, but that doesn't ruin the awesomeness of what you have presented. :)

Thanks! Unfortunately I think that's a limitation with the engine regarding, well...every weapon. The laser itself is a projectile (as you can see gravity effecting it). If I find a way to make the "laser" beam effect to stay longer, I'll post an update about it. :) A hopefully longer trailer of the mod will be made soon showing off all the buildings and the weapons. Thanks for the feedback everyone. :) I'll have to talk with the BIS community about the engine's possibilities. There's a lot of workarounds for the game as is for most other mods. The Real Virtuality engine can still pull off a lot of cool things regardless, so maybe I can figure out some things. :) 

Wouldn't it be possible to just enlarge the projectile? That would even give it a beamy look. Color the projectile red afterwards, and magic engi stuff happens and nothing works anymore. MAGIC. (I do not know anything about Real Virtuality modding^^) I've just noticed that I still have a copy of CWA in my steamlibrary. So yeah, I'll start it up once I find the time :)

Edited by NoSoldier

16 hours ago, NoSoldier said:

Wouldn't it be possible to just enlarge the projectile? That would even give it a beamy look. Color the projectile red afterwards, and magic engi stuff happens and nothing works anymore. MAGIC. (I do not know anything about Real Virtuality modding^^) I've just noticed that I still have a copy of CWA in my steamlibrary. So yeah, I'll start it up once I find the time :)

I'll have to try it out. Thanks to a few members of that community, I've learned a lot of coding (still have a ways to go) for this engine in particular, so I'm going to have to tweak things with the texture and maybe the gravity that effects the "laser". Sometimes the engine is a bit touchy when it comes to modding (one wrong / somewhere or a misplaced ; and you end up having a pretty bad day sometimes). Someone reported to me that there was a problem with the T-55 for the Libyans on the texture not showing up, so I'm going to have to figure out the bug there (I'd suggest placing a normal T-55 from OPFOR side if you want to maybe try and "recreate" the Nikoomba mission from Nod's campaign (certainly there's enough stuff to make a more, for the lack of a better term, "realistic" approach to Nod's missions in Libya instead of them using GDI's equipment).

There use to be a TibSun-era mod run by a man named Sentry and unfortunately after they started shifting their focus to "ArmA: Armed Assault" or "Arma: Combat Operations", he kinda vanished. Hasn't visited BIS forums since 2006. Wow, that seems along time ago now... but when I get to the TibSun era, I have very few models and...well, my modeling skills are quite lacking. More of a reskinner and coder type of guy, y'know? I was hoping to have it like this: TibDawn ---> Renegade (Late Tib-Dawn) ---> TibSun & FS ---> TibWars (with a few creative liberties to kinda keep it the same sort of mood as TibSun, maybe).

Thank goodness it's still in beta. Lots of things to iron out! Thanks for the interest guys. :) Helps knowing people are following the work. Peace through power!

So uh...in 2006 I was just starting my internet crusade into the world of command and conquer (I was that loser kid that always played offline :D ), so beings as I was very new online back then and didn't know hardly anyone in any community, I can't confirm this.....but we have a staff member here named Sentry. Could it be the same guy?

Its a bit depressing that following the Tib-Genesis FB page, and Moddb page, they really havent...... posted anything regarding the mod..... Also since I recently became part of an ARMA III (Halo OPTRE now turned RHS) Community, I was REALLY hoping there was some kind of, you know.... LIVING C&C mod, however most of the C&C related mods are pretty dead nowadays. welp #makeC&Cmodslivingagain

2 hours ago, MPRA2 said:

Its a bit depressing that following the Tib-Genesis FB page, and Moddb page, they really havent...... posted anything regarding the mod..... Also since I recently became part of an ARMA III (Halo OPTRE now turned RHS) Community, I was REALLY hoping there was some kind of, you know.... LIVING C&C mod, however most of the C&C related mods are pretty dead nowadays. welp #makeC&Cmodslivingagain

That is my hope that with this mod I can keep C&C alive at least in some way. My computer hates ArmA III (I can play it at low-settings and get relatively decent FPS, but meh) and people have pretty much deserted ArmA II. I'm trying to mod a game that most anybody can play on their computer and I'm surprised there are as many people as there are playing as it is.

Soon I'll have a new trailer edited and posted on my second YouTube channel under my RL name, but I might just make a YT profile dedicated to only C&C Brotherhood Rising and its updates. It's a shame that Tib-Genesis is pretty much nonexistent and I kinda wish he had more people he sent the mod to as a backup. I would have so loved to start in the TibSun era at least a little bit, but Dawn has been pretty easy to deal with thus far in terms of basic vehicle assets and weapons, so I can't complain too much. The generosity of the community has helped me greatly with the progress I have now. Maybe Macser will come back and help finish up with buildings, but I highly doubt it as his main works in OFP/CWA right now are his Star Wars mod and the CW40k mod (not complaining, these mods have been pretty great, actually and the way he got that AT-AT to work is amazing. Maybe the same workaround he used there could apply to a Mammoth MKII).

I'm hoping to have an NPC of Kane as a selectable character soon. Though a custom model would be much better than a reskinned bald civilian sporting an M9 Beretta. lol Maybe Renegade quality? I wouldn't mind that, actually. Might look good in this engine.