April Fools' APB Game Night~!

FRAYDO

[blurb]Join us for an extra special April Fools game night! Rangers will roll and Submarines will fly![/blurb]

[thumb]thumb_apb.c.png[/thumb]I would like to first thank you all who attended the previous game night. As was mentioned in the announcement for that one, there is another coming right up this Saturday! I can promise you, this is one not to miss!

fCnNYqN.png

April 1st, Saturday

April Fools' Day Special!

7:00 PM GMT (EU) & 9:00 PM CST (US)

Official APB Server

:D

There will be a patch. It won't be big though; I'm switching to using always2.dat for minor patches, and only a couple of maps are updated, so I predict it'll be maybe around 40mb? It should go live in the evening of March 31 at the latest, but it might happen earlier.

The thief changes that got unanimously agreed on are being saved for a later date for specifically that reason: it would require a ton of maps to be re-exported and patched, resulting in another big patch.

18 hours ago, DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr said:

Alright, total success! 30+ guys playing, give or take, over the span of at least 3 hours. Although I gotta say, that joke map on the moon and the racing map was boring as hell, and whoever kept switching over to those maps needs to get slapped, thats a waste of a good and proper match. Think about it, if you had only the normal maps during that time period, we could have gotten in twice as many actual games going. I mean it was bad, the racing was fun the first time around, and that was it, and the lunar map was tedious, if hilarious, but - give me the real game over those maps anyday.

After 25 minutes of racing, the next map was a normal map, and with 30 players it was epic. But then the next map... WAS THE RACING MAP AGAIN! This was done repeatedly. It was a waste of time IMO. I know the devs are probably sick of the base game, but this was your chance to actually get your game populated so that there was an actual war going on, instead of the measly 10 players you get on any other day, and thats if you get lucky.

Looking at the stats, the game night lasted nearly 8 hours and peaked 32 players. Much better than usual. What caused so many more people to stick around so much longer this one time do you think, if it's not the new stuff? Sheer coincidence and it would have somehow had an even higher attendance than this already well-above-normal one if there was nothing new for the nth time?

Also, while you were sitting here being whatever the April Fool's Day equivalent of Scrooge is, we just more than doubled your "lucky day" estimate and got another session to peak at 22 players without even scheduling it. Clearly that game night's sparked some interest, something previous ones don't seem to have done for some reason.

Also, you have some funny memory, as I never switched to the racing map at 30 players, as I know it doesn't even support that many players (the starting lane only had room for 24 rangers), and every runthrough on the gamenight lasted only 6 minutes except for one that was 10 due to an extra lap in reverse. The only "25" minute run was in the inaugural test run 5 hours before the game night.

Heck you even left the game when I decided there were too many players for Ridge Racer (as the player count ballooned from 24 to 30 between setting Racer and the end of CI) and decided to not play it. I'm getting mixed signals here.

Apr 01 21:57:10 <Volkov>    Host: [BR] Setting next map to RA_RidgeRacer ...
Apr 01 22:09:37 <Volkov>    &Pushwall: hmm though
Apr 01 22:09:43 <Volkov>    &Pushwall: racer isnt suited for this many people
Apr 01 22:09:45 <Volkov>    &Pushwall: not enough rangers
Apr 01 22:10:03 <Volkov>    Host: [BR] Setting next map to RA_LunarParadox ...
Apr 01 22:10:17 <Volkov>    [GENERAL] Current game on map RA_CoastalInfluence.mix has ended. Game was won by Allies by Building Destruction. [Check stats, Coastal Influence is where the playercount peaked besides the following Lunar Paradox which got more players but didn't get counted because of bot weirdness]
Apr 01 22:10:24 <Volkov>    Mackintoke left the game from team Soviets

12 hours ago, Raap said:

Didn't see the racing map in live play, but from the looks of things it needs power-ups (Mario Kart style) to work.

Could be hard to pull off. Can't adjust vehicle physics/speed on the fly short of changing the model (which is going to be hell if I ever get around to adding more liveries than just the vanilla Allied/Soviet ranger livery). Only powerups I can really think of that would be plausible that aren't straight up "kill another player and force them to respawn at the very start" (not very fun) would be maybe dropping a hedgehog or some other kind of blocker that gains collision after 0.25 of a second and sticks around for maybe 3-5 seconds so it doesn't perma-screw people if the collision manages to turn on while they're driving through it. Or dropping a "fake crate" that takes 5 seconds off the collector's health timer (which really only screws them if they get multiple or are already falling behind).

However, the lag at least serves as sort of a great equaliser that makes it hard to ensure that a lead is permanent, which mixes things up in a similar way to powerups; in the one race I participated in instead of spectating, I got rammed into nearly last at the starting stretch pretty quick, but my course knowledge from being the one to test it (again, this is why I normally just spectate) combined with so many players drifting into walls and flipping let me crawl back to second anyway :p And naturally as it gets played more knowledge will be more of a factor for people besides me, but lag will always be there to mix things up.

• 2 weeks later...

If I may derail slightly....

I had forgotten until now how violent of a cartoon Spy vs Spy was. Some pretty gruesome deaths in there :p The context of april fools plus seeing that elephant tank though.....That would be a good addition for next year, assuming we can obtain and modify an elephant texture :v