Invitation to Mafia Championship

Thingyman

45 minutes ago, VERTi60 said:

Come on man, cut the slack. It's still a joke phase, real voting begins tomorrows :p

If it's a joke phase, you should've voted Voe. :v
I can't. I promised a long time ago not to unless for a good reason.

So something is up with Vert...
##vote VERTi60

12 hours ago, Jeod said:

Hey Thingyman, sorry I haven't acknowledged you! Thanks for recognizing our little community! Question, will we be able to observe the game live? If so, what's preventing us from helping our rep (same goes for other communities)? If it's allowed, then to what extent, etc etc.

Hi Jeod

You'll be able to follow the game live, yes. We will also have a huge spectator chat on Discord with more than a hundred people cheering on and commenting that you are very welcome to join.

In addition to that, we also encourage that you create your own private spectator chat, but it's important that this chat/thread is not only inaccessible to your representative, but also your representative's opponents. Technically I can't prevent you from helping your rep if you really want (since I can't monitor your private communications), but it is very much against the rules to help your representative in any way once the game has begun.

12 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I don't know. Unless I get in to a major case, I think I probably only manage 4 posts per day phase here, and I tend to mostly observe Day 1. Having people online at the same time as me helps (which is why you and I cross swords so often), but I usually collect my thoughts into a small number of posts, usually once for each time I read the thread. Once in the morning, once after work, repeat. Of course, everyone else will be posting a lot too, which might mean there are more things to respond to, making it easier to hit that limit.

However, how does "choosing a time limit" work? Every game needs a time, so I imagine it's voted on by the players in the game. If I got stuffed into a 12-hour and I had to post 10 times per game day, yikes! There are 16 hour periods where there's no way I get more than one post in. Is that a mistake by the way? Previous rules suggest that Day Phases are 36 or 72 hours long, with nights being 12 or 24. I imagine I could handle 10 posts in 72 hours...

I'm also planning on running a game during a similar timeframe, as I'm finishing up preparation for Steins;Gate Mafia right now, which I'm expecting to start immediately after Jeod's upcoming game ends. I absolutely do not have enough time for both. I'll delay or stall my game if I have to, but I don't want to.

I'm willing to be an alternate as mentioned in the link, but I don't want to be the first choice.

Given that they want super active players, I think VERTi60 might be the best option. Through his constant GM work, he's proven he can be on the ball at all times. He's rarely had the chance to strut his own skills, but he's no slouch. Easily among the upper tier of players here.

In my opinion, Chaos_Knight is the best player here, especially when on the mafia team. (I'm passable as town, but I'm miserable as mafia. In my opinion, anyway.) He generally talks even less than I do, though. Don't know how active he can get.

Voe isn't a bad option either. He's crazy, but sometimes crazy gets it done. He'll have no problem completely rattling all these players who haven't met him. I have to admit that I've taken some of my current playstyle from his example, and seem to be better for it. I honestly do think Voe would do well, though I'd also be surprised if he stays alive long in any game.

I'd mention Nodlied here, but he already excluded himself. Jeod excluded himself as well. ChopBam is also a solid player as well and should be considered as an option, if he wants it.

OrangeP47, you're smart enough for the job, but you're inexperienced and it might bite you. We let you get away with some stuff that we wouldn't have let others get away with, just because you were new, and it eventually caught up with you anyway. You won't have that advantage there, where I expect few will know each other. We also don't know much of your ability to be a detective in a game without power roles. At the same time, knowing you have plenty of time on your hands is a big plus in a game where others might not have time to keep up. Not saying you shouldn't be a rep, though, because just like what happened in Death Note, your flaws could actually work against your opponents instead of you. I'd still support you doing it, but cautioning that your game needs work.

And if we're digging into the oldbie crowd, Allie29/Hylius and pzeper would be amazing options, if we can find them.

Lastly, I think no matter who actually is our rep, they won't exactly be going in alone. Well, unless there is a rule against players receiving input from spectators, as Jeod just referred to.

Re: choosing the length of Day Phases.

Each rep gives me their preferences wrt start date, length of day phases, and some other stuff too. Then when I have all this info, I try to make everyone happy. So ideally and hopefully likely (I managed it last season at least) you will get everything that you want - a start date and day lengths that suit you well.

51 minutes ago, Chaos_Knight said:

If it's a joke phase, you should've voted Voe. :v
I can't. I promised a long time ago not to unless for a good reason.

So something is up with Vert...
##vote VERTi60

I would've vote voe on Day 1 but his behavior is too jester like, once again.

13 minutes ago, Thingyman said:

Re: choosing the length of Day Phases.

Each rep gives me their preferences wrt start date, length of day phases, and some other stuff too. Then when I have all this info, I try to make everyone happy. So ideally and hopefully likely (I managed it last season at least) you will get everything that you want - a start date and day lengths that suit you well.

This sounds good. A side question - what were the preferences in last sessions? Do people  prefer long or short days? In our community it's usually 48/24 hour phases.

##Nodlied vote VERTi60 

(This is going to be my goto day 1 joke vote for awhile probably :p )

While I like Voe, and think he's a good player, he's kind of atypical of the group.  I mean, that's fine, just saying. While my inexperience is mostly what keeps me out of the running, it also leads me to not feel qualified to make the call on Voe unless we all really want it :p

Choosing from the mafia elite here, and having read the recommendations and concerns regarding time and availability, I would like to nominate Voe.
##vote Voe

While he likely will have no worry of a D1 joke phase with votes piling onto him, I would lose it though if Voe still manages to get himself lynched Day 1 xD

1 hour ago, FRAYDO said:

Choosing from the mafia elite here, and having read the recommendations and concerns regarding time and availability, I would like to nominate Voe.
##vote Voe

While he likely will have no worry of a D1 joke phase with votes piling onto him, I would lose it though if Voe still manages to get himself lynched Day 1 xD

Well, that's the thing. I'm pretty certain that Voe will be lynched no matter the reason, be it as a scummy suspect, as a get rid of the good player ASAP or as a case where people just want to get rid of the annoying plunger proffesional.

19 minutes ago, Voe said:

If i enter the championship and die Day 1, I will be the perfect representation of this community and its traditions.

If you die Day 1 I will GM a game themed around the group. Not APB themed, but a game where everyone will be assigned a role based off another forumite.

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

If you die Day 1 I will GM a game themed around the group. Not APB themed, but a game where everyone will be assigned a role based off another forumite.

Then the question would be whether you know enough about our histories. :v

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Is that a challenge? :v

Rather a question. But I'd be up for having you look up 6 years of history, finding everyone's connections and assigned perks, traditions, goods and bads.

Just now, Nodlied said:

Rather a question. But I'd be up for having you look up 6 years of history, finding everyone's connections and assigned perks, traditions, goods and bads.

I've already read most of the mafias since the start of 2016 as 'research'. That said, packing all that info in so quickly while we were playing Death Note makes a lot of it run together. It's not something I'd be trying to jump to the top of the playlist with, that's for sure.

22 hours ago, VERTi60 said:

I would've vote voe on Day 1 but his behavior is too jester like, once again.

This sounds good. A side question - what were the preferences in last sessions? Do people  prefer long or short days? In our community it's usually 48/24 hour phases.

Out of the 8 qualifiers last year, I believe two of them were 72/24, one was 12/12 and the rest were 36/12. This season we included the 48/24 option. I think that one and 36/12 are the two most popular options.

UPDATE ON MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP

Originally, the plan was for this season to feature 135 communities. We will now have 165 participating communities, which means that this season alone we will have more different communities represented than all other seasons combined. Approximately 60 communities are participating for the very first time. Of the returning communities, about a dozen of them are resending a previous representative, while the rest are all sending fresh faces.

As a result of how big this season has gotten, we'll have more games to look forward to than ever before. We will have 11 qualifying games, 2 wildcard games and 1 finale game = 14 games in total.

All kinds of communities are partipating. Besides the sites dedicated specifically to mafia, we have forums dedicated to popular entertainment, sports, poker, board games, online games, video games, role playing, LEGO, personality type testing, stick figure animations, science, atheism, music, mathematics, comics, students, etc. Some of these communities started playing mafia more than a decade ago; Others just started this year.

Despite this being a forum event, we will also have communities that play the game via various chat clients (Discord, Telegram, IRC, custom, etc.) and via webcam (with games often streamed on Twitch.tv). And not least, there are communities centered around mafia game variants that you can buy on Steam (Town of Salem and Throne of Lies).

This season will also have the biggest international scope yet. For the very first time we will have representatives from Romania, Hungary, Chile, Portugal, Ukraine and Czechia as well as our first person representing a Japanese community. We even have our first Native American. 

In addition to this, we of course welcome back countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Poland, Italy, Indonesia, South Africa and Ireland, meaning that we'll have more than 20 different countries represented in total.

Final reminder: If your community hasn't picked a representative yet, your deadline is by the end of tomorrow (April 23).

Next update: I am hoping very much I will have all the info I need from all of the representatives by Wednesday at the latest next week. Assuming I do, I will schedule all the qualifying games on this day and get back to you with your representative's start date.

Voe didnt last very long in my hunger games mafia but he's the one tribute that volunteered himself wilingly.

So unless cat5 or anyone else wishes to contest this we can proceed without second vote phase.

For the record, I wasn't actually objecting to Voe earlier or anything. Just wanting to make sure we are sure :D

Also while we're all here, and since we now have these new friends/resources, where do you guys go to test out your new game ideas? I have kind of an idea but I need to check out some resources before I can even think of making it a game.